Attachment Points on IntelliShapes?

tlehnhaeuser

Hi Tom,

For cut features, it has to be a true edge of the feature. The Top edge is generated by the boolean. The inside edge will work since it is a edge generated by the feature itself. If it was a thru feature, neither edge would work and you would need to use a face. 

Hope that helps you out.

Cary

Hi Tom,

You might possibly be able to achieve what you are wanting using a multi-bodied Structured Part. See the attached video.

We find multi-bodied Structured Parts really useful when it comes to applying Attachment Points.

Another option is to use Parameters to drive the position of the Attachment Points, rather than locking to geometry. We use this technique also.

Malcolm

Attachment Points - On Intellishapes (Structured Parts).ics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, its always appreciated. Cary, if I pick another edge, no on them seem to work, hmmm

Malcolm, this is truly a work of art, you are the structured part guru, the only problem is I am trying to develop for a customers that do not use SPM ever and are casual users, so this is a little over their heads. However, it makes me think how in depth SPM can be, I never realized all those little "tools" within them that I will need to really dive into. I'm just curious how many companies use SPM over IPM.

Again thanks both, much food for thought

Tom

Thanks Malcolm,

I often wonder if I should be learning the SPM for all the sheet-metal stuff I do?  The trouble is I guess is that with learning to work the way I do in IC, I'm looking at tree trunks and can't see the whole forest, so it's difficult to imagine where I could start using SPM to my advantage.

Harley

Hi Harley,

Regarding Sheet Metal, we sometimes use Structured Part Modelling (SPM) for the following:

1. Complex sheet metal parts that can't be constructed using the sheet metal tools. In these instances we construct the part using surfaces and then use the thicken tool.

2. For creating associated Layout Sketches, to help position and size our sheet metal parts, within a project. This is possibly an application of SPM that you might find helpful.

Malcolm