A question

LEE MENG CHE

You can select the smaller block on Part 1 and "copy, linked"  to Part 2. It will be linked, but it remains within Part1, which I suspect you might not want ?. 

I would not normally do this, because when the design gets bigger and more involved, as they invariably do, and the Part1 linked original is changed, the linked intellishape in Part2 (that remains within Part1) could appear to "mysteriously" change. But if its what is needed then OK.

linking intellishapes.jpg

Hi Lee,

Typically this is done using "Linked 2D Shapes". So if you draw a 2D shape of your desired profile geometry, you can then use that 2D shape to generate linked intellishapes across infinite parts. The trick is to make sure you select the Profile behavior to "Linked".

Maybe this old video will provide better understanding.

Tomj

Tom's suggestion above regarding "Linked 2D Shapes" (Profiles) is a very good one. We also use a couple of other methods, depending on the application. One of those methods involves "Linked Bodies" between "Structured Parts" (as opposed to Innovative Parts).

It you're not familiar with "Structured Parts", these introduce an additional selection "level" within the part called "Bodies".

- Innovative Part - Intellishape - 2D Profile

- Structured Part - Body - Intellishape - 2D Profile

Structured Parts allow you to have multiple "Bodies" within the same part for independent editing, and allow you to save one or more of these "Bodies" as externally linked Structured Parts (which can then be further edited and added to).

The attached video demonstrates this principle, where I have previously saved a "Body" within the "Parent" Structured Part to create a linked Structured Part. I have then inserted this linked part back into the scene of the "Parent" for demonstration purposes. To the linked part I have then added it's own base (this isn't demonstrated in the video). So this linked part has 2 bodies; one of which is linked to the original part.

For complex linked shapes (multiple intellishapes and features) this is the method that we use. Let me know if you would like me to post a step-by-step video of how to construct this simple example.

Malcolm

On 1/13/2021 at 7:00 PM, Mike Hatch said:

You can select the smaller block on Part 1 and "copy, linked"  to Part 2. It will be linked, but it remains within Part1, which I suspect you might not want ?. 

I would not normally do this, because when the design gets bigger and more involved, as they invariably do, and the Part1 linked original is changed, the linked intellishape in Part2 (that remains within Part1) could appear to "mysteriously" change. But if its what is needed then OK.

linking intellishapes.jpg

Mike,

I have tried this way but it's not what I want.

Thank you.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:19 PM, tlehnhaeuser said:

Hi Lee,

Typically this is done using "Linked 2D Shapes". So if you draw a 2D shape of your desired profile geometry, you can then use that 2D shape to generate linked intellishapes across infinite parts. The trick is to make sure you select the Profile behavior to "Linked".

Maybe this old video will provide better understanding.

Tomj

Tom,

That's a good video , help me a lot.

Thank you.

On 1/14/2021 at 3:31 AM, Malcolm Crowe said:

Tom's suggestion above regarding "Linked 2D Shapes" (Profiles) is a very good one. We also use a couple of other methods, depending on the application. One of those methods involves "Linked Bodies" between "Structured Parts" (as opposed to Innovative Parts).

It you're not familiar with "Structured Parts", these introduce an additional selection "level" within the part called "Bodies".

- Innovative Part - Intellishape - 2D Profile

- Structured Part - Body - Intellishape - 2D Profile

Structured Parts allow you to have multiple "Bodies" within the same part for independent editing, and allow you to save one or more of these "Bodies" as externally linked Structured Parts (which can then be further edited and added to).

The attached video demonstrates this principle, where I have previously saved a "Body" within the "Parent" Structured Part to create a linked Structured Part. I have then inserted this linked part back into the scene of the "Parent" for demonstration purposes. To the linked part I have then added it's own base (this isn't demonstrated in the video). So this linked part has 2 bodies; one of which is linked to the original part.

For complex linked shapes (multiple intellishapes and features) this is the method that we use. Let me know if you would like me to post a step-by-step video of how to construct this simple example.

Malcolm

Malcom,

Great video , I h've never know this way to do this , it's help me a lot.

Thank you.

Hi Tom, this is a good question.

2 hours ago, tlehnhaeuser said:

How would you have ONLY the second body (block) linked? In other words, I do not want the hole and blend to affect the second part?

The key point to keep in mind is that Intellishapes and Features (such as blends) are applied at the "Body" level and not the "Part" level. So if you don't want the blend and hole applied to the "Linked Body" then these need to be applied to a different body (which may need to be created).

Attached is a video demonstrating how to do this:

1. Activate the Parent Structured Part (this is required to add Intellishapes or Features within Structured Parts).

2. Roll back the history to before the blend (after the second block that creates the second Body that is externally linked).

3. Join the original 2 Bodies using Boolean Union. This creates a new single Body, that replaces the previous 2.

4. Roll back the history to the end. The blend should now automatically be applied to the new Body, but the Extrude Cut (hole) may need to be edited so that it is looking at the right Body. In the video it has changed to adding material instead of removing.

Note that the second part is linked to the original 2nd Body, which is only visible when the history is rolled back to where it is visible again. So if a change is made to the 2nd Block in the Parent, then the history needs to be rolled back and then the part regenerated (to update the linked Body).

I hope that is clear enough. Normally the "Parent" part would be the more basic version, with the second (Child) part having additional features added.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, very helpful. I've been using IronCAD so long that the notion of "bodies" is still foreign to me and will require much more effort for me to understand. My brain cells are not what they used to be :-)

I am assuming this is how all the other mainstream CAD applications have to do this since "Structured" mode basically mimics the same approach?

T

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

3 hours ago, tlehnhaeuser said:

I am assuming this is how all the other mainstream CAD applications have to do this since "Structured" mode basically mimics the same approach?

Hi Tom. I don't know about "all the other mainstream CAD applications"; but this structured approach is certainly the case with SOLIDWORKS.

Another way to think of "Structured Parts" is to think of them as their own self-contained 3D Scene, with their own coordinate system. When activated, everything (2D Profiles, Surfaces, and Solids) is placed inside the Structured Part. When activated, nothing outside of the Structured Part exists (it is it's own little world).

- 3D Scene (includes coordinate system) - Innovative Parts (Surfaces and Solids) - Intellishapes - 2D Profiles

- Structured Part (includes coordinate system) - Bodies (Surfaces and Solids) - Intellishapes - 2D Profiles

There is a lot more to learn regarding Structured Parts compared to Innovative Parts, and understanding the order of Intellishapes and Features is critical. But the rewards are there for users that take the time to understand it.

Malcolm