Office chair

C_

attempting to learn the surface tools in IC.  GREAT tutorials at https://www.ironcad.academy/collections/surfacing

However, I would like some examples on when/where some tools could be handy to use. 

modelled the blue seat as well as the back part in IC. (not the chromed foot piece underneath the seat). 

rendered in Keyshot. 

edit: it's a work in progress... haven't modelled the seat to the back yet...

stool-side.jpg

stool.jpg

headpiece-stitch.jpg

Edited by C_

@C_Great to hear you enjoy the academy tutorials. Renders look great by the way! Especially the close up with the stitches.

Regarding when/where to use tools, it's a very hard question because every tool has so many applications, and you can make practically anything in 10 different ways.

For example, the seat "pillows" in your model could probably be done with solids and no surfacing, at least that's how I would probably approach it at first. A few different cuts and extrudes (or maybe lofts) could likely make those quite nicely. Surfacing will give you greater control over the overall shape, at the expense of being more time consuming. Solids give you slightly less control, however will generally (for me) be faster and you get the benefit of being able to really nicely blend/fillet edges to get the final shape. The biggest benefit being they are a lot easier to customise later (if you want to change the seat size or shape). I sometimes find a happy middle ground using solids for most of a model, and then combining both at the end (Solidify Command).

Hopefully that's of some help.