Why does it takes a long time to upload big STP File example 168MB

WAENGENEND

I have one of the latest config PC's, multi core, but when importing a big STP File it takes a loooong time, made several setting changes but still a long time.

If I have a look at the core usage it is only 5%, is ironcad running multicore or single core?

All the best Willem

168MB STP FILE.jpg

Edited by WAENGENEND

If you can share the file to support@ironcad.com using something like Wetransfer, we can take a look at the file. The import speed can depend in the import settings and what is in the file. If the file contains (or converts) to many surfaces it could take a longer time. Are you on the latest 2020 PU1 SP1 version? 

The file import in IRONCAD is multi-threaded, but there are parts of the import process (file conversion) which isn't yet, until the third party application used for the conversion will support it too. Here's what I see (CPU at 92,2%) when I import in version 2020, on my HP Zbook 15 with a 2,71GHz Core i7.

image.thumb.png.8da6f27a6a4a0513b2e42e7b758f2b9b.png

Yes, the multi-thread is for Parasolid *.X_T and ACIS *.SAT, since they are the native formats. All other formats are run through the SPATIAL translator, so when the external developers of the translator has made it multi-threaded we will benefit of that as well.

IronCAD does take advantage of multiple cores of the CPU.   For import, we use SPATIAL translator to convert other CAD formats to ACIS or Parasolid.  SPATIAL translators use multiple cores to convert certain files such as SolidWorks and CATIA Assemblies.  But it can only use one thread for certain files such as STEP because it is a single file and it can only be sequentially read and processed.  After CAD files are convert to ACIS or Parasolid,  IronCAD uses multiple cores as much as possible to process the models to IronCAD format.

Hello All, Unfortunately I cannot send the STP file, it's a customer file from an Italian high speed car builder, which we cannot share.

But reading here all the info it is better to ask for X_T files, which are multicore imported.

Thx for the help.

All the best Willem

• 3 months later...
Guest DisplayName

what helps is reducing core count, basicaly as long as your workload isnt realy heavily multicore, you can turn off AMD`s version  of HT, i believe its called SMT and you can turn if off via bios or RyzenMaster

so instead of 24 core and using 4.something% for import, you will have 12 core, so 8.something for import, and consider switching it to separate core so it doesnt fight with winows own processes which tends to group on Core0