UV-map workaround, export to keyshot

This has been probably been covered, but if not, here it goes.

Modelling/part creation in IC for render outside IC has some problems. If you render a metal part, then it's easy, but with wood it's a different story.

I wanted to render a stool in plywood, and converting nurms-based models to mesh for uv mapping it's hard. I found to ways -

1. export in 3ds - and by faces - not materials. Try to keep the parts together in keyshot when moving the around. In this way I could assign one material to the edge face and one to the top.

2. select the part - export to .sat - the import it back in and you get the brep. Then select the faces until you get to smartpaint them. The smartpainting makes it easier in keyshot, as you just have to swap those colors with materials. 

I'm new to IC, so maybe there are better workarounds, but this works for me for now. Obviously, complicated parts with many faces can be a pain to smartpaint. 

two plywood materials added on the render below. one for the edge, and one for the flat parts. (The idea of the stool is a friends)

Willes smartpaint 3.51.png

In the KeyShot Options on the Add-in Ribbon Bar, there is a setting "Use single Shell forPart" and Link Parts with Same Material". You can toggle those off to help in this case. If you need to access each face with a different material (or orientation), turn both options off. If the faces on a part are all the same material, but you want different materials per part, turn off the Link parts option. 

That will make the transfer to KeyShot easier to work with when applying the materials to the face/part.

Maybe you already know this, but as you mentioned you are new to IC this might help.

You can use SmartPaint at the Face and Shape level as well as the Part level. So if you just select down to the shape or face, you can paint it a separate color.

Helpful here is using the selection filter down the bottom right, which (along with the Shift Key) can help to quickly select many faces. Another tip, use the EyeDropper tool. When using this, if you select down to the Face level **before selecting the tool** then it will paste onto faces instead of onto parts, so you can quickly copy paste colors/styles around to many faces.

Then before going to KeyShot, make sure "Link Parts with Same Material" is checked, and KeyShot will recognize everything that is the same color, as the same material. Doing it this way should allow you to accomplish what you want without needing to export or workaround the KeyShot integration. The added benefit here is if you change your model, you can then just click "Update KeyShot" and your new geometry will be copied across while keeping all your texture work in KeyShot.

Let me know if I misinterpreted what you want to do.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:02 PM, Cary OConnor said:

In the KeyShot Options on the Add-in Ribbon Bar, there is a setting "Use single Shell forPart" and Link Parts with Same Material".

Thanks! Seem like the way to go. But is  it a 2020 feature? I'm still on 2019, and cannot see that icon.

9 hours ago, Josh said:

Maybe you already know this, but as you mentioned you are new to IC this might help.

You can use SmartPaint at the Face and Shape level as well as the Part level. So if you just select down to the shape or face, you can paint it a separate color.

MANY thanks for the descriptive video and tips. That was also a great way to do it. 

No worries, regarding KeyShot, this option is available in 2019 as well. Just go to the Add-ins Ribbon menu, then you should see KeyShot there. Click the "KeyShot Options" button.

If you don't see the KeyShot add-on in there, you may need to reinstall it from IronCAD or make sure it is opened into the add-ins menu.

• 1 month later...

In the add-in ribbon - the option export to Keyshot - creates a BIP-file. When that file is imported - or opened - into Keyshot, the scale is off. 

A model 1152mm wide, becomes 1,152mm.

When I export as a sat-file (regular export part) - and import into Keyshot - then it is correct 1152mm wide. 

The import menu in keyshot does let me choose mm - but that's it. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

On 12/7/2020 at 12:49 AM, Josh said:

@C_That sounds like a bug, will have to see what the IronCAD team says @IronKevin

Also, do you mean it becomes 1152 meters? or 1152 centimeters? Because you mentioned millimeters on both but I assume you mean it's scaling.

No, mm's.

From 1152mm - to 1,152 mm - it does scale, but down.

Oh I see what you're saying, I'm not use to seeing decimals written with commas. In Australia we would write that as 1152mm and 1.152mm. Here 1152 and 1,152 are the exact same number, the latter is just written in a more formal way.

Same problem nonetheless, so will be something IronCAD need to comment on.