IronCAD performance on Mac

JARICO

Hi Guys,

Are any of you running IronCAD on a Mac using Bootcamp?  I'm noticing some stability and performance issues.  Performance issues are mainly when you have more than one scene open - just switching between scenes can be very slow.  Stability wise I occasionally see crashes - several in a row at times.  Reboot and it comes good and then works fine. Anyway thought I would check on here as I've been in touch with support and there's not much they can do.  My Mac is farily powerful - it's a late model MacBook Pro - 2.6 GHz hex Core processor, 16 GB RAM,  AMD Radeo Pro 5300 Graphics card....

Appreciate any feedback from anyone...

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Sorry you're experiencing issues. I don't have performance issues when switching scenes on my PC (no idea regarding Mac). However, I have been experiencing regular crashes since 2020 PU1 SP1; but I haven't been able to identify what is contributing to these crashes (specific operations etc...).

Malcolm

Hi Joe,

For what it's worth, years ago I tried really hard to run IronCAD on Parallels (emulator) on the Mac because I had other work on the Mac and someone thought I should run it that way. Parallels had great support but I constantly ran into issues where I was changing settings and it seemed like I was always going around in circles with the same problem. I think it had to do with memory but I couldn't tell you for sure. I ended up using bootcamp and I just remember Windows seemed to be really locked down and stable on the Mac but that was so long ago it's probably doesn't matter in your situation. I use a PC now with fewer problems or so it seems. Out of curiosity what version of Windows are you using?

Doug

Hi Joe,

Also a not a Mac user but can you check on this on Options>Rendering>Renderer Options>Display List set from Auto to Segment. I've been using AMD video cards  for a long time and setting this to Segment corrects any problem I have in any driver type. The keywords here is when editing cross sections in 2D, with Radeon not set properly:  it is sluggish moving construction lines, dimensions not showing properly.

regards - joseph

Options-Rendering.png

Hey Doug,

I'm using Window 10.  Windows itself is super stable.  No issues at all and runs really fast.

I used Parallels a few years ago on my old Mac but gave that away pretty quickly - I found it terrible even for running MS Office stuff.  That was a long time ago so not sure what it's like these days but in any case I'd rather run Window natively on the machine than through an emulator.

I'm no IT genius but aside from having specific drivers for the hardware I don't know what's so different about running Windows on a Mac natively (through Bootcamp).  Everything else works like you would expect it to....

9 minutes ago, jolizon590016 said:

Hi Joe,

Also a not a Mac user but can you check on this on Options>Rendering>Renderer Options>Display List set from Auto to Segment. I've been using AMD video cards  for a long time and setting this to Segment corrects any problem I have in any driver type. The keywords here is when editing cross sections in 2D, with Radeon not set properly:  it is sluggish moving construction lines, dimensions not showing properly.

regards - joseph

Options-Rendering.png

Hey thanks Joseph.  I just tried that and on the swapping scenes front it hasn't helped but I'll leave it set to segment and see how it goes on the stability front. 

Cheers,

Joe

Still crashing quite a bit.  Especially during 2D sketches.  Eventually it seems to come good and I can get what I'm trying to do done but very frustrating.  It freezes while trying to sketch and about 5 seconds later crashes and shuts down.  Can anyone shed any light on whether it can be a Mac thing or not?  I am struggling to understand how....IC is running on Windows natively and everything else is super stable....

Hi Joe,

With Mac on the boot camp, the Radeon Pro 5300M should have this driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5000m-series/amd-radeon-rx-5000m-series/amd-radeon-rx-5300m

For stability use the 20.4.2. WHQL. regards.

Thanks to all for your help.  The suggestion of the video card drivers/software from several of you was spot on.  The Mac uses the Intel graphics to run it's retina display but when plugged into the 4K monitor it fires up the AMD.  I was using IC without the monitor today for the first time in a long time and had zero problems!  No sluggish performance when switching between scenes, no crashes.  I then plugged the monitor in and the crashes / bad performance was back.   I thought I'd try switching the display settings so that I was only using the 4K monitor (switching off the retina display) and that seems to have done the trick.  Everything seems stable again.  Yay!

Seems I was a bit quick to declare victory.  With the HD monitor plugged in still experiencing issues.  Again seems to be mostly in 2D mode when doing sketches. @jolizon590016 / Joseph I tried to install the driver and it came up with an error saying no Radeon hardware installed.  However I can open the installed AMD settings app and it detects the card and you can play with settings.  Windows thinks the driver is up to date but that doesn't mean much.... crap!

It's a strange problem.  It might crash 3 or 4 times in a row in short succession and then it comes good and is fine for hours....

Anyway thanks Joseph for the suggestion of the driver....might just have to unplug the monitor when working in 2D for any length of time!!  

3 minutes ago, Doug Gower said:

Hi Joe,

Well, this doesn't sound good but maybe explains the problem running another monitor? Here it states "This device has no display connectivity, as it is not designed to have monitors connected to it."

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-pro-5300.c3665

- Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply.

For a laptop that's probably not that unusual given the lack of real estate for extra ports. I have the 5300M and if you look at the blurb for that version it says "Rather it is intended for use in laptop/notebooks and will use the output of the host mobile device. Radeon Pro 5300M is connected to the rest of the system using a PCI-Express 4.0 x8 interface". 

I should clarify that it's only when running IC that there's an issue.  I can watch movies, work in MS365, do a video call etc. running both displays with no problems (in both Window and Mac OS)

Maybe IC is not managing the dual video card hardware properly and there's some kind of resource battle going on??  

Hi Joe and Doug,

This is a tough nut to crack and certainly not unique to a Mac system with a dual gpu. I think it just MacBook Pro is using the i7 igpu and not able to switch to Radeon Pro. There might be a utility on the MacBook Pro or since your using Windows 10, check on Setting>Display>Graphic Settings and there might be a preference on what GPU to use and set it along Choose an app to set preference to IRONCAD. I currently can't confirm this since my pc use a cpu that requires discreet gpu.

I use to have a MSI 17" laptop that had a i5 2400M and a Nividia GT520M, depending on the Nvidia driver version that works properly switching IRONCAD  to work with it. As the uplift is necessary than using the i5 2400M integrated gpu. It is similar to odd behavior your having, as doing single part has not issue,  but as you go to an assembly with more parts or complex part it it stalls. It took me some time to figure it out that it was the nvidia driver version at fault.

Sold that laptop and got a modest HP15 with AMD 2500U with Vega igpu. For complex work, I still prefer a desktop though. I do hope you can find that setting on your end, as Radeon Pro 5300M is beefier than Vega igpu.

Regards joseph

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help Joseph.  In Mac OS the setting you mention is available.  You can set the card you want to use or let the OS manage it.  Looks like there's something coming for Windows:

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/08/13/microsoft-makes-it-easier-to-manage-multiple-gpus-in-windows-10s-settings-app/

Hopefully this will help!  What a pain this is!  Will keep trying.... 

At least I know that unplugging the monitor is a fix when things get too frustrating....

On 9/30/2020 at 1:00 AM, Doug Gower said:

Joe,

Hopefully those settng work for you but I did run across this if it pertains to your AMD software? It mentions a second screen problem on AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Crossfire. Sounds like there is a bug with freesync and if you disable it on both monitors in the radeon software then it works.

https://community.amd.com/thread/234431

Hey Doug,

I went into the Radeon software.  Freesync is already turned off and is in fact not supported according to the software.  Windows doesn't seem to know anything about the 5300M.  There is an option to scan for the AMD hardware and it fails to find the card.  I suspect Joseph is right....it's using the 630.  Perhaps I will try running the monitor at a lower resolution?  Maybe that will help....

• 3 months later...