Request: Dynamic Naming - Part (User) Name

Malcolm Crowe

We currently have the ability to add expressions to the "Part Number" and "Description" system properties (and custom properties) for creating dynamic names driven by parameters or sizebox values, but this ability isn't applicable to the User Name system property.

This request is that dynamic expressions work in the "User Name" system property as well.

The reason is that the "User Name" is the only property exported with parts. We have a potential client who needs all of the parts within a fabrication exported as SAT files for use with their CNC equipment (tube laser). Since the "User Name" is the only property exported with the SAT files, we'd like to use an expression to combine the "Material" and "Length" information within the "User Name".

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

Hi Malcolm,
This can be easily be done with the Code Generator tool of the IronCAD Mechanical extension. There are many variables that can be read from the model and the scene, to act as text/number properties on parts and assemblies.

bild.png.949b2f59155fbc9fcdf58a887e93113c.png

Very short video on what the tool does:

An old video on how to tool works. It has been updated quite much since.

• Like 1

Thanks Jonas,

Another great suggestion. I can get the Variables and Custom Properties to work, but what about extracting the System Properties (User Name, Part Number, Description, Material)?

For example, what if I wanted the "User Name" to automatically combine the values of the other 3 System Properties. That is: <Part Number> <Description> <Material>

Malcolm

Good question! When I use the tool on "pre-set" parts = parts that already have values like a Part Number etc, I create variables that "recreates" them.

bild.png.31f1e4ac04e4158fb7ab910bf45bbbe6.png

<UN> for User Name (don't use the brackets when creating the Variable, only when they are being used)
<PN> for Part Number
<DSC> or <D> for Description
<MTRL> or <M> for Material.

Then I set any of those values "to themselves" :blink:;).
There's usually no point of adding them all at once like on the image below, it's just for show.

bild.png.1784e58addb99f31bc64c42f8fa9e5e9.png

This means that the values are never changed from what it was already using, whenever I use the tool.

Edited by Jonas@Solidmakarna
  • Like 1

While this Code Generator is a clever tool, and appreciated in the absence of an alternative method. The disadvantage is that any future changes need to be made using this tool, as changes in the Properties Browser don't take effect in Code Generator. For example, if the "Description" or "Material" changes, then these changes need to be made using Code Generator (and not the Properties Browser), for the change to take effect in the expression.

So my preference (and request) would be to have similar functionality of Code Generator, where System and Custom Properties (and Variables) can be combined as an expression within the User Name etc. And ideally, that this expression could be saved with the Scene Template, or with the recently added Custom Properties Template functionality.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

• Malcolm Crowe changed the title to Request: Dynamic Naming - Part (User) Name