Edited Part Numbers Not Displayed in Patterns

Malcolm Crowe

I don't recall seeing this issue before, so it could be a recent bug. Or perhaps it could be something that I've got set wrong somewhere. The issue is that after creating a pattern (with the TriBall), if the part number is then edited, the part number is no longer displayed in the Scene Browser (only the user name).

See the attached video.

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

Hi Malcolm,

If you didn't find it already there are settings to change how the tree item displays and how the file name saves if you go to Options/Parts and scroll to the bottom. I would rather have the part number & description always show than the user name. It would be nice to have a setting added in there to turn that off.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Notice my second post above where the Scene Browser just needed to refresh. In this case, collapsing and expanding the tree.

Out of interest (if you don't mind me asking), why do you prefer to display the Description over the User Name?

Also, what information do you place in Description compared to User Name?

Malcolm

Hi Doug,

We typically only use the User Name (Part Name) and the Part Number. You possibly use the Description in the same way that we use the User Name (Part Name).

From my experience, the only Property that is exported with the geometry is the User Name (Part Name), so this is why we use this. We only use Description for short reference notes, but I've always been curious how others use it (or in fact the intended purpose of Description).

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe

Malcolm,

Yeah, I've always thought it was confusing the way that worked. I always want the Part Number & Description in the scene browser to be the same as the file name and ultimately if you could change those whenever you want without unlinking the part. Maybe IronCAD can make some changes there but I know we already discussed it years ago.

Doug

There are really several ways to manage the User Name, Part Number and Description values and don't forget the Material and all sorts of Custom Properties (such as Supplier, Color, Category, Surface Tolerance and others alike that can be shown in the drawing or used for creating configurations).

The first three values are always shown at the top of the Property Browser, why it might be useful to place it beside the Scene Browser.

bild.png.503412798e67ca56c77417e2af02d61c.png

The Part Number can be considered as the most important value, since it is the single property that tells the system about an objects identity (there's also a more hidden individual System ID on all objects, but we never need to care about that). Part Number is the main controller of the quantity for the drawing BOM, for example.

The Description is for many users used as the same value as the User Name, which in a way is a bit of a waste of "property boxes". Some use it instead to describe the raw material of manufactured objects based on a standard item like a metal plate or a steel/aluminium profile. For example, Plate 130x45, T=5 or HEA100, L=1500 etc. For fasteners it is useful to describe the standard type, while the Part Number, at the same time, uses the individual values of the fastener like type and length. Unless you are using an internal numbering system for standard parts, then the type/length values can of course be set to the Description instead.

bild.png.89e5bd1fcec3a37f2ee38de3ebbe5445.png

The User Name is usually just the label or name of the item, such as Fixture Right or Left side Tube or similar simple names like that. It is also the default property being used for the File Name (and export based on selection) setup. Though it can be very useful to make it read combinations of other properties, to make it easier to find in the Scene Browser.

There are settings under the IC Options, Parts to replace the visual appearance of the User Name (it doesn't actually replace or create the value) in the Scene Browser. For example to create a combination of Part Number and Description, instead of the User Name. This can also be set when saving.

bild.png.435dfd9063b93af03ed609e9101495b6.png

The settings below will change the appearance in the Scene Browser.

bild.png.fb0692abc5f667fb77a6ac1c0b5a9950.png

Now, note that the Glass Cylinder and Cover is obviously missing a Part Number value and that the Fasteners assembly is "blank" since it doesn't have either a Part Number (it doesn't really need one) or a Description (might be useful, but not really needed either, it's "just" a simple container of fasteners that I've made to make the tree shorter).

bild.png.71e4afd724ed215d7a5b5cb6bd3ab9d2.png

All of these values are managed manually in the Property Browser and personally I think that you end up clicking a lot, but still don't get the full picture. So, I use the IPROActiveManager tool from the IronCAD Mechanical extension to get a better grip of what's done (or really, what still needs to be done) in a more "administrative" purpose. It also has a built in BOM, where you can control (real-time edit) all the properties you expect to see in the drawing are added.

bild.png.5ebdd30f7109017f3608a2627858ae45.png

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 1:15 AM, Jonas@Solidmakarna said:

The Description is for many users used as the same value as the User Name, which in a way is a bit of a waste of "property boxes".

Jonas, that was the best explanation I've heard about this. I never understood why there was another field there for "User Name". I would rather be able to enter the description once and not have to copy it over to the "User Name" in order to show in the Scene Browser.  To me it might be better if "User Name" was called "Notes" and I think if there was a setting to make "Description" and "User Name" one in the same that would be nice so you only have to type it in once. As you said "Part Number" can be considered as the most important value, I just always thought it was odd that "User Name" is on top in the Property Browser.

Edited by Doug Gower

While the "Part Number" is important from a mechanical design perspective, I wouldn't have said that "Part Number Property" is the most important property to the "System" or "User"; as it isn't the property imported or exported with CAD neutral files (STP etc). As you said, the "System" allocates its own hidden "System ID".

Regarding Users (as opposed to the System), it is the "User Name Property" that is the most important. I think that the term "User" may be confusing, as it isn't anything to do with the name of the "User". Rather, you could think of it as the name allocated to the Assembly/Part/Shape/Profile by the "User", as opposed to the ID allocated by the "System".

Note also, that not all CAD software offers a "Part Number Property". But will always have a "Name Property" allocated by the User, by which the part is saved and exported. Where this "Name Property" can include both the "Part Number" and "Part Name" and "Material etc......

So for me, the "User allocated Name" is the most important. And this may be made up of any combination of "Part Number", "Description", "Material" etc......

So the "User allocated Name" is the internal equivalent to the external "File Name".

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm Crowe