Changing linked ICS files

HDEAR

Hi all,

Years ago I had some bright ideas about naming ICS component files that were linked to a main ICS assy file.

Today, these bright ideas look dull and now I have others who try to understand my filing system, and even I can't remember the logic I used way back then.

So, if I want to change the name of the ICS linked files, how do I go about it?  I tried to change one linked file ics name and when I opened the parent assembly ics file, all hell broke loose and I had to invoke CTRL-ALT-DEL

I do really need to change those linked file names - any ideas?

Oh - and while I'm at it, what if I need to change the parent file name?

Thanks

edit: Having Deja-Vu here - have I asked this question before ? :P

Edited by HDEAR

Hi Harley,

We use two methods when it comes to renaming and relinking externally linked files.

- Method 1 (Save As while Assembly is Open)

- Method 2 (Renaming then Relinking while Opening Assembly)

Videos of both methods attached.

Malcolm

Hi Harley,

Here's the other way to rename an ICS while the assembly is open.

and some times I rename and relink multiple ICS files like this...

I want to rename them on the fly without closing down. It would help a lot if you didn't have to unlink when you have a lot of file names to change.

- Doug

Doug's suggestion is a good one, and we also sometimes use this method. Just be aware that this method creates a new Part Scene, where the part is positioned in the same location (relative to the origin) as in the Assembly Scene from which it was saved. This new part location (relative to the scene origin) may be different to the original part. If so, this will potentially impact on the location of any generated drawing views previously created.

Attached is a video demonstrating this. The original parts were all centered on the origins of their Part Scenes. Within CAXA, drawing views are generated of Part1 and Part3. Within the Assembly these parts are unlinked, renamed (Part1000 and Part3000) and then saved external. Back in CAXA the links to Part1 and Part3 are changed to Part1000 and Part3000. The location of the generated drawing views now move within CAXA due to the different scene origins.

Because of this behavior, whenever we save a part externally; before generating (or opening) any 2D drawings, it is our normal practice to open the Part Scene, and to position the part on the scene origin. If necessary, we also orientate the part relative to the X, Y, and Z axes.

Malcolm

Parts 1 and 3.PNG

Parts 1000 and 3000.PNG