Spiral staircase

emil.rindell

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone got any ideas how to create this shape in a smarter way.
image.png.5455e59f17cb616f2eed2235ba8a45c1.png
My first try was to use 3D curve helix and sweep the shape, but I got various results and are having trouble to control and allign the sketch correctly against the guidecurve. My second try was a uglier solution with creating a Thread Feature and removing the cylinder with a negative cylinder like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwxnejs3u7iw38k/Thread.mp4?dl=0

Any ideas?

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, David Greene said:

Trying Cary's way atm and works perfectly although is there an easy way of defining the width of the  stringer ? say, as a 300 mm band ? 

To do that move the curve exactly 300mm when offsetting with the TriBall. Or for more customizability, just use one curve and do a sweep with a rectangular profile at the front, that will allow you to easily adjust the sweep profile to any dimension, and also control the size with a parameter if desired.

To align the profile, do a sketch "Normal to Face at Point", with the point being the end of the curve, and the face being the front of the step.

Edited by Josh