the search for IronCAD files

Doug Gower

Recently I installed Windows 10 Pro. Usually I can type a part number or description into the Start Menu and the part will come up, I can right click the part, select Open File Location and open the folder from there. On Windows 7 it worked fine other than a few times when Windows lost the file index and it had to be rebuilt. It saves time vs. going thru folders to get to a part.

With Windows 10 when you enter into the Start Menu you can search for local files the same way (I think) plus everything goes to Microsoft servers for a Bing search. For some reason I'm not finding any .ics files in the Start Menu. I made sure the indexing is turned on for the "users" folder (and everything underneath that) but for some reason it's not pulling up any .ics files and evidently there is no way to turn off the Bing search feature anymore so you end up with a list of things from the interweb.

I have been able to find .icd files this way but I don't have drawings for every .ics file so I have to resort to regular menu. Has anyone else had an issue with this? any ideas?

Edited by Doug Gower

I understand this problem is related to Windows 10 but if anyone has any ideas I'm still struggling to figure out why I can't find a single .ics file on the Windows search. I verified that .ics is selected in the index same as .icd, I ran the Windows search and index troubleshooter, I've restarted Windows search and rebooted, I reset WIndows search, I expanded the indexing and rebuilt the index a couple times now. I'm at a loss as to why I can't find a IronCAD scene file on windows 10.

Can you not just open the file explorer and use the quick search at the top right? It will search for anything in your local or connected drives. If you use the bottom left windows search it will not work.

-Spencer

3 hours ago, SSIMMONS said:

Can you not just open the file explorer and use the quick search at the top right? It will search for anything in your local or connected drives. If you use the bottom left windows search it will not work.

Hi Spencer,

I tested that and I get the same results. I can find everything except .ics or scene files. That was a good idea though.

Thanks,

Doug

20 hours ago, Doug Gower said:

Hi Spencer,

I tested that and I get the same results. I can find everything except .ics or scene files. That was a good idea though.

Thanks,

Doug

Maybe I'm confused by what you are asking. The video i posted shows that it works on windows 10 and shows me doing it.

- Spencer

4 hours ago, SSIMMONS said:

Maybe I'm confused by what you are asking. The video i posted shows that it works on windows 10 and shows me doing it.

- Spencer

I see what you'r saying but it's not working for me. I can find everything except .ics files. All of my scene files (.ics) show up as IronCAD files as well but they won't show up in a search which is baffling.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:42 PM, Doug Gower said:

Here are the IC file types selected in the advanced indexing options.

950170114_Indexingadvancedoptions.PNG.66c0a58bf70c89b3d8755924d27d017f.PNG

Oh, i see. That is very odd. When you go to your index settings (control-panel, etc.), is the drive that the searched files are on checked for indexing?

- Spencer

Hi Spencer,

Same here, thanks for trying though. The indexing seems to be working fine. I even turned off everything except .ics and then nothing would come up in a search. I thought it might have something to do with the file type - app settings but that looks good. One other thing I noticed after I change the image extensions to another app Windows keeps changing some of those back to the default photos app and I haven't been able to get those to stick with the app that I want after multiple attempts.

- Doug

1484041058_Filetypesettings.thumb.PNG.9e7ca49863ccf618fc3c6609ab11c37a.PNG

If I may suggest the following:

Go to the command prompt.

run the "sfc/scannow" command: It will look like the snip below. This will check your system file integrity. It's a long shot, but it may fix your issue.

image.png.b2c2a56d48ba3ad919313c06ae896d44.png

Yeah... the system files check out OK.  I wasn't running sfc from the command prompt like you said.

I noticed in the File Explorer quick search, if I search for a part number, still everything except .ics pops up there until I hit enter and some of the .ics files are showing up so I think I'll give up on this problem for a while. Still, I can't get any .ics files from the Start bar search so the File Explorer search is better.

On 3/27/2020 at 3:40 AM, Eds said:

Would you be open in trying out an alternative search method? Try using Voidtools' Everything search. As far as I know it does not use Windows' built-in indexing. It's quite quick too.

Thank you Eds. That sounds like it might work. I'll take a look at that when I get back to work.

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2020 at 3:40 AM, Eds said:

Would you be open in trying out an alternative search method? Try using Voidtools' Everything search. As far as I know it does not use Windows' built-in indexing. It's quite quick too.

Finally getting back to this. I never did figure out why .ics files don't show up for me in the search box. The search access in File Explorer does work but it's slow compared to Everything search. Thanks for the suggestion Eds!

36 minutes ago, Doug Gower said:

Finally getting back to this. I never did figure out why .ics files don't show up for me in the search box. The search access in File Explorer does work but it's slow compared to Everything search. Thanks for the suggestion Eds!

Maybe it has something to do with the file extension matching that of an icalendar file? I know mine used to show the wrong thumbnail for my .ics files because it thought it was a different type of file, but it never gave me any issue with finding the files through search options or anything like that.

image.thumb.png.80a7299f7a926d1b6d93538d8c23b1d0.png