Sheet metal 'Add mitre' for a curved lip with set stand-off and radius

HDEAR

image.png.f4269fce4d6462ca871a9491b7c90766.png

Yeah, gidday!

This wouldn't crop up much but when it does, I've worked out a relative short cut to Add mitre to a sheet when a curved lip with a set distance is required. If there was one bend only, then sketching on curved stock to the SM stock would do the trick, however as far as I am aware, Add Mitre doesn't cope with curved stock.Add mitre only copes with bend features.

So, the trick is to add a bend, set the radius ( R ) and add the stock ( L ). We know the stand-off distance 'D' ( which may be required is the dish has to fit into a know cavity opening for example ), but we don't know the angle. To calculate this, I have set up a restrained sketch which I can adjust and I have this in my sheetmetal catalogue. I drag this into the scene, make any adjustments in order to get the angle and I'm ready to go. It's purely for reference, nothing else.

The video shows the process and the ICS gives the finished product along with a FREE sketch calculator you can use :)

I already know my video skills suck, so no need to give me a hard time over that OK!

Please let me know if there's an easier method though.

Cheers

Harley

ps - 'mitre' is how we spell it here down-under

Curved lip for mitre bend.ics

Edited by HDEAR
  • Like 1