Configurations - Linking to External Design Variations

Malcolm Crowe

The purpose of the previous 2 posts (Suppression Parameters and Linking to Local Design Variations) was in preparation for this post.

When I was a SOLIDWORKS user I would often have "Local Configurations" within the assembly file I had open, linked to the "External Configurations" of externally linked files. An example might be, that these "External Configurations" might have different assemblies and parts suppressed within them. Within the local assembly file (currently open) I could easily toggle between the "External Configurations" as required, by toggling my "Local Configurations".

After switching to IRONCAD I experienced a great deal of frustration trying to duplicate this linking of "Local Configurations" with "External Configurations". One of the big obstacles for me was the terminology. The equivalent within IRONCAD to the "Configurations" of SOLIDWORKS, is not "Configurations" but is "Design Variations". The key learning's for me were:

1. Create "Design Variations" within the externally linked files, and make use of "Suppression Parameters" within these "Design Variations".

2. Link the "Local Configurations" of the currently open assembly file, with the "External Design Variations" of the externally linked files.

The attached files and video demonstrate this. These show "Design Variations" within 2 externally linked files that include suppression of parts and features, positional changes (via locked smart dimensions), and feature size changes (holes). The changes taking place in the local file are actually taking place within the linked files.

Malcolm

Linked Configurations - External Sub-Assembly 1.ics Linked Configurations - External Sub-Assembly 2.ics Linked Configurations - Main Assembly.ics

Edited by Malcolm Crowe
  • Like 2

• Malcolm Crowe changed the title to Configurations - Linking to External Design Variations