Holes through two parts

Guest BCIC

Hi,

I'm just wondering how you extrude a hole cylinder through two parts. From videos I've watched it seems like you right click on the hole and choose to extrude to next either forwards or backwards, it asks how many faces and I choose two but when I try this I get an error. Am I doing the correct thing or do I next to select the parts I wish the hole to pass through first

Features are per part. If you want to create a feature across multiple or across the Assembly, you need to use the Assembly Feature capabilities. For example: Right-click and dra&drop a H-Cylinder from the catalog and drop in on a part/assembly. Select to Affect the entire assembly or all in the scene. Then you can drag that hole across multiple parts. These only affect the geometry at the assembly level. If you are doing part drawings or exporting, you will need to right-click on the feature and select "Apply as Part Features" where it will convert it to a feature for each part it affects.

Hope that helps.

Cary

Hi Cary,

Thanks, so if I right click and drag a H cylinder and select to affect the entire assembly then once I move that part the H cylinder will disappear from one of the parts once it goes outside the range of the hole I allowed for is this correct? If I want it to permanently affect both I must choose the second option? When I try that and  i right click on it I'm not seeing the option to apply as a feature.

Thanks Spencer. I followed that and it worked for me. Can these features be linked, mirrored or copied afterwards or must this be done per individual feature.

Thanks Spencer, it worked, but I had an anomaly (?) at the point of dropping an H Cylinder  -

Rclick drag - "Drop As Assembly Feature" - I get a 40mm x 50mm cylinder.

Lclick drag - I get a 8mm x 10mm cylinder.

Just wondering why I get differing sized cylinders when dropping onto the same point ? where as you don't seem to on the video.

Lclick Hcylinder.jpg

Rclick Hcylinder.jpg

Edited by Mike Hatch

I'm not sure why the size difference other that the Assembly Feature is probably set to be larger since you could be dropping it in a larger assembly. On parts, you usually want them smaller and there is a setting for the default size for those. For the Assembly, it is probably scalled so that you can see it when dropped otherwise it could come in small and could be missed on drop. 

Cary

Well as far as i can tell it is simply adding the hole block (or cylinder) as a standard hole block to each part it interacts with. So it can be copied and mirrored (not linked after the fact together, but all copies can be linked and mirrors also). If you do copy or mirror it will act as a standard hole block unless it is done before the feature is applied to all shapes. As far as the different size holes being dropped, very interesting. I could not replicate this so it might be a bug. If you "regenerate part" does it change back to the normal size? If you restart do you get the same results? Might be intentional behavior as well. I actually recently learned of this feature from a webinar that IronCAD did on some of the basic functionality with Bobby Fischer (I remember his name because the famous chess master). It is amazing what basics can be overlooked when getting really familiar with a program. 

- Spencer