Sheetmetal: corner trough bends

Robert Andersson

This shows hove you can create a corner on a sheetmetal part, as you where to apply it on flat state.

When you drag in the Custom profile tool from the sheetmetal catalog, drop it so it touches the two bends. This does that you dont need to use the "Modify affected bends" tool to make the bends understand that they should be cut.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=484

Robert Andersson

Solidmakarna

sheetCut4.gif

nice one, thx.

next step would be to extent this feature for an unlimited amount of bends, are there more people that want this? i know its on the enhancement-list already but i want it on top of that list.

Wim

I never would like to loose the option to modify sheetmetal in the folded state. For me it is the most logical start-position of using sheetmetal.

There are situations that i would like to position a cutout in the flat, and that is possible right now.

The other time i can think of using the flat is to perforate a sheetmetal-part and then fold it.

I guess there are not many users of the sheetmetal-possibility`s of ironcad (at least not the ones that are on this community)or only happy ones and overall i`m happy too.

The part that botters me tho is the modify-affected-bend often not acting like it should be, and is limited to 1 or 2 bends, but i guess i loose this battle when i dont get any support.

What would be the benefit for you to start in the unfolded position Schizek?

Are there more things that you would like to improve in sheetmetal , f.e. the corner-solutions?

regards Wim

regards Wim

Schizek,

-It would be an improvement to be able to model in both folded and unfolded state. I would like the speak about this do;

The sheet metalpart will be used in folded state, so the folded state is what counts. For manufacturing reasons, it's also important to think of the flat state.

IronCAD is extremly strong in the assembly envirement,

and this thing to model sheetmetal in folded state, builds on that capability.

Imagen that you work in a complex assembly, and you are trying to

figure out hove this sheet metal corner should be shaped, with respect to other parts in the assembly.

In traditional assemblymodellers, you would select "Edit in place"

or something similar, and then you will edit the sheet metal part in flat state, and you have not much information hove the neiburhod is looking, until you return to, and update, the assembly.

Remember that other solidmodellers have two (or more) envirements, part and assembly mode. Each envirement have it's own set's of tools and way's to allow modelleling.

IronCAD have only one, scene's, wich is a better, more logical way of work.

-If you are working in flat mode, you dont know about the neighboring parts.

Then it is harder to figure out dimensions, thickness and angles to apply.

Model sheet metal in flat state, could be better if you are creating standalone sheetmetal parts do.

Robert Andersson

Solidmakarna

Attached is a sample of a notch we are trying to create. The notch needs to be a standard V notch (not what I have modeled here) at a certain depth. What I would like to do is create it as I have in the folded state, unfold it, and modify that notch to be what the actual cutout should be like, and refold the part KEEPING that information.

Wim, you stated that "There are situations that I would like to position a cutout in the flat, and that is possible right now" I do not beleive this is true, what I see is any changes done to the flat are lost after refolding.

I understand that modifying the folded is needed when trying to locate certain features on a part. but there are just as many times that it is the opposite and the folded result does not matter (i.e. the file i have attached, it doesnt really matter what the folded corner looks like, but it absolutely HAS to be a V notch at a given depth.

vnotch.ics

vnotch.ics

there is a possibility for cutouts to position them in the flat, that is where i was refering to.

For your exemple with the notch: this should be included in a toot for all the standard corner-solutions which every company that works with sheetmetal will run into. Thats my opinion.

If you rightclick on a cuttout you can see an item `position in the flat`. This is invoked by standard.

Unfold the sheetmetalpart.

Then you can change the position by selecting the cuttout in the folded sheetmetalpart by changing the smartdimensions in the tree-browser.

Hope this helps.

regards Wim

Can anybody tell me the use of postioning a cutout and NOT have that punch positioned with respect to the flat. I see that it is the default, but I don't see a need or benefit to not have it this way all the time. That being said, just because it is positioned with respect to the flat does not give it the ability to MODIFY that cutout in the unfolded sheet. In reference back to my original V-Notch, there are no cutouts creating that, there are some modified cross sections, after unfolding I would like to take this notch that is created and form it to be consistant with our tooling. If I tried to create that as a custom shape......yeah right, like I could get the modify affect bends to work across all of those bends. This is just one prominent example of the need to modify the unfolded sheetmetal. I know I harp on this issue over and over, but it was promised long ago when we first bought into IronCAD, and it still is not where we need it. As a predominantly sheetmetal company, this issue is far and away the most important issue we face. Although I feel IronCad is one of the best CAD systems out there for mid range modelers, this issue is important enough to force us to go away from IronCAD if it is not addressed.

• 4 weeks later...

the corner-cuttout that started this topic cannot be done with corners other then 90 degrees, this is too bad cause there is no good althernative for this kind of thing.