Always save part/assembly from default config

B. Ludin

Tip/Bug Report:

When you save a part/assembly from a scene with several configurations, always remember to switch back to the default configuration first, otherwise the part may get corrupted (around 10% chance, I'd say from experience). This is particularly important if you have "link to scene" checked, because in that case you won't have an original to go back to.

Beat

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this tip, Beat.

I never knew about this before, but looking back on things over the last year or so, I'll bet this factor is responsible for most of the data corruption and other problems I've seen.

Now, why isn't this documented in the program? Surely the code could check the current configuration before committing a save part operation? Beat, can you reproduce this error or corruption? [i know you said 10% chance, so that means probably hard to reproduce on demand.]

Chris, do you know if this factor is officially recognized by the development team? I'm sure over the past few years I've many times saved a part/assembly out as its own scene file, usually linked to the current scene, without ever checking what my current config is. Do you think this could have been the cause of my corrupt files?

Regards,

Peter Domenicali