Suppress Assy behavior

WPONG

Some inconsistent behavior that may be on purpose, or may be a bug, but I wanted to understand:

1. I build an assembly something like this

Assy1

Subassy5

Subassy6

Part2

Part8

2. Then one by one I suppress Subassy5, Subassy6, Part2, Part8.

3. Finally I suppress Assy1

4. Then I *unsuppress* Assy1

I note that Subassy5 and Subassy6 remain suppressed.

But I note that Part2 and Part8 *unsuppress* even though they were individually suppressed prior to the suppression (and unsuppression) of Assy1.

This was unexpected. I expected the individual Parts to "remember" their prior suppressed state, just like the Subassy's "remembered" their prior suppression states.

Is this a bug, or intended? There may be a rationale for this, but it's definitely not what I expected or convenient. I suppress and unsuppress Assemblies with sub-parts and sub-assemblies (both) within them, and I don't want this action to disrupt the prior suppression state of any sub-parts. Essentially, suppressing and then unsuppressing a parent assembly essentially "resets" (ie un-suppresses) all sub-parts.

I hope all that verbiage made sense... (it occurs to me -- perhaps there is a setting for this behavior?)

--Will

There are 3 unsuppress commands that do different things. When you have individual parts & subassemblies suppressed & then suppress the main assembly, if you simply toggle "suppress" on the main assembly, neither the suppressed subassemblies nor the suppressed parts will unsuppress. If you use "Unsuppress Parts," only the parts under that assembly will unsuppress (the subassemblies will stay suppressed.) "Unsuppress All" is the only way to be sure of getting everything back.

Okay, I think I figured out why I'm having trouble. I've been using an assigned keyboard shortcut to suppress parts.

But the problem is that assigning a keyboard shortcut to "suppress" (which is what I did) actually assigns the keyboard shortcut to the "suppress *parts*" command. I haven't found a way to assign a shortcut key to the true "suppress" command.

Here's what I've tried:

1. rt click ribbon > customize keyboard

2. keyboard tab > other > suppress [ assign shortcut key ]

OR

2. keyboard tab > tools > suppress [ assign shortcut key ]

What results is that the keyboard shortcut key *doesn't* show up beside "suppress" in the rt click context menu, and instead shows up beside "suppress *parts*" in the right click context menu.

Is there a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to the true "suppress" command?

--Will

Perfect. That behaves exactly as I desired. And the shortcut key shows up directly beside "Suppress" in the context menu now.

I think this would qualify as a bug, yes? (the selection in the customize menu does not match the option in the context menu?)

--Will