Bookshelf Tutorial with intelligent shelves

Chris Lohman

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I found this tutorial extremely helpful...You can apply the same "use edge" with the right mouse button click on sheetmetal parts.. This will give more flexability when moving or re-sizing sheetmetal parts with bends, that way you can simply move the bend or sheetmetal edge to the next surface, and have all the features follow.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like I may have either gone too far with this concept, or found a logical design limit to its use.

I began playing with this tip and I actually created a sheetmetal wall with all the bends I needed and I was able to drive the shape and size in every direction and it would update perfectly... then I noticed that some of my "driven" flange edges were actually moving out of perspective of the other flanges! Things started snapping to the wrong points and bang! The whole model started going south.

I was actually able to move a "driven" edge! ( you can tell by the "no smoking" circle and slash symbol that appears over the pull handle of a driven edge when you try to modify it)

The funny thing about it is that the sysmbol would dissapear and only allow me to move the edge back to the proper location (aligned with the driving edge) in increments of .001 until it would stop!... Some edges were .050 out of alignment!

I will try to send a file attachment of this issue later. I am working on Pro Time Consumer bka Pro inEfficient right now.

• 1 month later...

Here is the file.

I have rescently opened it in version 6, so I hope that doesn't affect or prevent 5.2 from opening the file.

It still seems to be acting up using 6.0... Maybe its just a bad model?

Well in any case I was trying to expand on the concepts used in this tutorial.

Read my previous posting.

Drag your pointer over the rear wall lower flage and drag the handle.

The upper flange was created and constrained to the shape of the lower flange in an attempt to lock the geometry together.... so as one flange is updated, the other would follow... but they dont... the upper flange is doing something entirely different.

The method used to create this relationship is described in the tutorial.

I have not run into any other issues using this method for parts or normal solid geometry. From what I can tell, problem only seems to be in sheetmetal.

But to reitirate (spelling?) my statement...

"It looks like I may have either gone too far with this concept, or found a logical design limit to its use."

Thanks to Chris Lohman for the tutorial... it is very useful !