Unable to lock Z axsis

bbuche

In 2018 when looking down on a part with the tri-ball on you could click on the top middle dot and it would lock the z axis. Now you have to slightly rotate your view and lock the axis and then toggle back to the top view. Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you

B-

Yes if you look directly (perpendicular) at a surface the triball will show correctly that perpendicular aspect, so you will have to move slightly.

You can "look at" (F7) on the same plane and pick slightly offset, the view will shift and re-orientate the triball, but then that's just similar to your spinning slightly off axis

I don't have 2018 any more to try this out, do you have an example (picture).

In 2018 when looking down on a part with the tri-ball on you could click on the top middle dot and it would lock the z axis. Now you have to slightly rotate your view and lock the axis and then toggle back to the top view. Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you

B-

48695[/snapback]

Yup I noticed this as well. I would like the old function back. Tx

So you are saying it is more common to lock the Z axis for rotations versus locking the X and Y and being able to move with the center of the TriBall in this orientation? We had so many requests to be able to access that centerpoint and not many mentions of the ability to rotate like that.

Maybe when you lock and axis, we can look at tab to switch to other axis handles. You would not see the highlight in that orientation however.

Cary

yes please let us have the old function back. We didn't know we had to ask for it because it was a function and it really kills my workflow having to do something different then it has always been. Please please please bring it back.

As a quick alternative at this time, use the F9 key to toggle. When you have the TriBall on, you can hit F9 to go to perspective and you can select the handles on the TriBall as long as the TriBall is not directly in the middle of the screen. Once you select, hit F9 to toggle back to orthogonal.

At this point, it looks like it may have to be an option or we need to come up with a different use model for this. As mentioned, there are many requests to access the centerpoint in this instance. I understand the change of behavior and we will try to find a way to accommodate both.

Cary

Hi Cary

I struggled over that many times since I installed 2019

to lock the Z axis for rotations (no perspective view) seems very useful to me (and logical) this is a precise maneuver. :-)

"versus locking the X and Y and being able to move with the center of the TriBall in this orientation" .... I do not understand this.... can you post a movie?

PS of course nobody asks for it if it is there! biggrin.gif

yes please let us have the old function back. We didn't know we had to ask for it because it was a function and it really kills my workflow having to do something different then it has always been. Please please please bring it back.

48724[/snapback]

I agree well stated

+10

• 2 weeks later...

I like that concept as well. It actually reduces the clicks. The only issue is that it assumes you are orthogonal and in the correct orientation (which really is the only case where the handles overlap causing this report).

Let's see if we can get that added to help resolve the case.

I like that concept as well. It actually reduces the clicks. The only issue is that it assumes you are orthogonal and in the correct orientation (which really is the only case where the handles overlap causing this report).

Let's see if we can get that added to help resolve the case.

48923[/snapback]

Ok maybe the option is greyed out if those conditions are not met?

t

A way to choose either the center handle or the axis handle of the tribal in perpendicular view would be highly welcome +1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

After considerable discussions and ideas, I think we settled on a way to handle the request.

When handles (center and translation) on the TriBall overlap (based on a bounding box of the handles), we will change the behavior of the outer ring of the TriBall. In this overlap condition, the outer ring of the TriBall will act as a click to lock the translation axis.

So in your case of orthogonal views, when you hoover over the center of the TriBall it will get the Center point of the TriBall (2019 behavior). To get the translation handle, hoover over the outer ring and you will see the Translation Icon on the cursor and the axis handle highlight. Click on it to select that axis. Then click and rotate as normal.

We had many other optional idea but they all had various issues and this seems to be a valid way to handle it especially since the outer ring is slightly risky as a rotation method since you could be slightly not orthogonal to the view and could get a rotation issue. So changing it to this behavior make it more useful and a safe option.

Comments?

• 1 month later...
I think that I could get used to doing it that way. It isn't quite as intuitive as it was in previous versions (i.e. simply clicking the handle that is closest), but it would at least restore the functionality.

49083[/snapback]

I agree with Mike, this is not intuitive for me either.

Troy