Explode Equivalent?

ITAYLOR

EXPLODE command equivalent?

In other design programs where a block, component (or LINKED part] can be exploded into its separate blocks. How does IC do that?

Lets say I accidentally 'left click' a 'drag n drop' item...

then add it to an exising item in my scene [Vs Right Click drag n drop which I should have done]...

But after shaping my object realise it should have been a right click drag n drop... because when I click one part... they BOTH become blue [selected].

How do I EXPLODE the two parts to become separate parts... r than mud

My video did not work sorry.

Try this one... {Dang... Have to SAVE to file to view on my system]

Explode.mp4

Edited by ITAYLOR

This is a very common problem when you start with IC, maybe the "most common"!

I usually recommend users to make a copy of the part (as many copies as "there should be parts") and then delete the features/Intellishapes within each part that doesn't belong to it.

In the IC Mech Utils catalog theres a tool named Split Intellishapes that does this as well. But I would recommend the slower and more obvious way of copy/delete.

The tool Jonas mentioned is a good tool. A couple other options:

1. Select the part. Ctrl-C to Copy. Ctrl-V to place it. Then delete the unwanted feature in both parts to separate the parts.

2. Select the desired features and drag them into the catalog. Then delete them from the part. Drag and drop them out into the scene and preposition them. Note this will not work if you have features like blends\Chamfer.

Cary

• 1 year later...

Belated reply... been away.

I was very new to IC then... To Toms question... I was referring to nested blocks in AutoCAD LT like multiple blocks inside blocks.  I was hoping a part in a part would disassemble. I now understand 3D may not be the same concept.

Thanks Cary... took me a while to grasp the how to... I still mess that up at times by drag drop with left mouse habit... and wish that if I created say a PART1 = [SLOT + CYLINDER] in the scene file tree,  How good would it be if I could 'free up' that 'part 1+2' and drag the Cylinder out of the file tree separately so they become two separate parts 'Part1_slot' & 'Part 2_cyl'

IE. File tree would then read PART1 [SLOT]; PART2 [CYLINDER]. Wish list.

---------------------------------------------------------

NEW WISH LIST... RADIAL PATTERN... [posted here as key search word EXPLODE showed this post...].  Similar issue.

RADIAL PATTERN [placed in this post because it does not explode/disassemble].

ISSUE: I used radial pattern [tri-ball/rotate/radial pattern]... to multiply a 1 inch chain link around a 38 tooth sprocket [19 links @ two teeth per link]. In design phase I wasn't sure how many chain links I needed to match the incoming and outgoing chain angle, so I just filled the sprocket to show link on all teeth and hoped to delete other unwanted chain links later. I want to EXPLODE [AutoCAD 2D talk - what is IronCAD equivalent? perhaps Disassemble?] the RADIAL PATTERN.

I want the links to be separate, so I can play around with different chain angle configurations and leave what links I need... and not be stuck to the radial pattern [which seems uneditable except for change nuber/angle/radius . When I arrive at a final design I may want the radial pattern in tact... but for now I desire flxibility to disassemble design/ redesign/ and fine tune.

Picture this: In the Scene file tree, the DELETE option is greyed out for each chain link. Is that the way the tool or is there something I can do to make all links their own separate entity so to all deleting.

I know there will be work arounds, but if there is a way to EXPLODE [Disassemble] the Radial Pattern so that instances are no longer dependent... If not, happy to live with it but just don't want to give up trying just yet.If so,  I would love to hear about it. Enjoying the learning curve! IronCAD does some really amazing things.

Hi Ian,

Good question. Attached are videos of 2 work-around solutions that might be of interest for replacing the Radial Pattern with Linked Parts.

1. This involves using the TriBall to create linked parts, followed by deleting the original radial pattern.

2. This involves creating an Assembly of the patterned parts, followed by deleting the original radial pattern.

Malcolm

• Like 1