Part Number equal filename

PWATSON

I was wondering if there is a method where the filename of a part can be linked into the part number property.

I would like to be able to have my part numbers linked to my model file names so that if i create a new part using a save as function the part number of the part will update as well.

I have the ironcad mechanical addon which has many useful tools but couldnt find something like this.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

Do you want the file name together with the part number displayed on the File Explorer or on the ICD drawings.

It can be done on ICDrawing with one part drawing file with part number on the text block associated to view.

Having multi parts on the a single drawing file can allow part number on the text block associated to each part displayed.

You may opt to have part name and part number on a single text block associated, and have the drawing filename displayed on each sheets of the drawing template used.

part_name_number.png

On the 3D model itself, I don't know as I only reference what is on the drop down list on the property name field.

regards.

Hi

attached is a screen shot of what i would like to do...

I currently utilize this type of application in my 2D Autocadd drawings where the file name populates the drawing title block. That way i always know that my filenames and drawing names match.

I would like to utilize that functionality in ironcad scenes. I have made errors in the past by "forgetting" to open a scene to change the part number after renaming or doing a saveas.

PART_NUMBER.pdf

Hi Peter,

As you say, there are functions for this in the ic mech addon.

You can find an "alternative" save function in the IC Mech group under the Add-ins ribbon bar (hint: these tools will soon be found under their own ribbon bar smile.gif ).

When you use the save function the part numbering tool can be applied and it will add the number to both the file name AND the part number of the part/assembly that you are saving.

Save_AutoNumber.png

You have a video with swedish voice (still possible to follow I hope!) here:

Btw, it is always important to assemble everything in a scene into a single assembly in the scene browser, instead of having multiple parts and assembles scattered. This will make the future use of the file easier since you have control of the assembly properties etc. when it is being reused with the Insert Part/Assembly function.

SB_Assemble.png

Thanks Jonas..

I just got back from some time off and read your post.

I saw the numbering function in IC Mechanical but really didn't know how to use it. I will watch the video and hopefully that will help.

Thanks, Again.