opening documents.

KLEA

Hi,

I would like to set up IronCad such that, if I click on a document to open it from the file location while the IronCad program is running, it opens another tab in the already running window.

Instead what happens is it launches a new window (and takes ages to open as a result).

I'm not sure I understand exactly. Are you saying it is opening another session of IronCAD? It should open in a new tab already but there are different environments (ICS and ICS). So the first load of those environments are a little slower but once loaded the first time, they should be fast for others. Can you help me understand the issue a bit better?

Cary

With IronCAD Mechanical you have a tool called IPRO Settings (found in the Windows Start menu) in which you can set the ICS file to open directly in the existing process, which, by some reason, doesn't seem to be the default behavior.

IPROSetting_UtilsApp.png

Just make sure that the list of formats don't include file formats that you don't want to connect to the open function, with the button Edit List of File Format.

I just tested this with IronCAD 2018 on a clean Windows 7 with no IC Mechanical and both .ics files I double-clicked opened in the same session so by default this should work. I can only assume there is some Windows or Registry setting that messes this up since there is no IronCAD option to control this (we are still investigating what that might be).

I just tested this with IronCAD 2018 on a clean Windows 7 with no IC Mechanical and both .ics files I double-clicked opened in the same session so by default this should work.  I can only assume there is some Windows or Registry setting that messes this up since there is no IronCAD option to control this (we are still investigating what that might be).

47356[/snapback]

Today it works, so I take it back, Thanks Kev

We tested some computers (Windows 10) in this office as well as a Windows 7 and all of them would load the ICS file that is double clicked into the running instance of IRONCAD.

We also did some testing with the IronCAD Mechanical Utility. But since we did not have a case where double clicking always starts a new instance of IRONCAD, that was not very informative.

However, I did find a similar complaint in the solidworks forum. I've attached the writer's comments below.

I have recently run across this issue.

After a lot of frustration I compared all registry instances of sldprt, slddrw, sldasm. I found these keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.SLDASM\UserChoice]

"Progid"="SldAssem.Document"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.SLDDRW\UserChoice]

"Progid"="Application/SLDWRKS.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.SLDPRT\UserChoice]

"Progid"="Application/SLDWRKS.exe"

Notice the differance?

I fixed the registry error by writing this key:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.SLDPRT\UserChoice]

"Progid"="SldPart.Document"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.SLDDRW\UserChoice]

"Progid"="SldDraw.Document"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.SLDASM\UserChoice]

"Progid"="SldAssem.Document"

So, for those users having a problem, I would check your HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrenVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ics\UserChoice

key.

the ProgId value should be "IronCAD.Scene"

If it is Application/ironcad.exe

that is probably your problem.

I was finally able to locate a Windows 7 machine which opens ICS files to a new ICCompose instance on double click and verified that the ProgId value was "Application/Iccompose.exe"

I changed it simply using the Default Program console in the control panel.

• 1 month later...
With IronCAD Mechanical you have a tool called IPRO Settings (found in the Windows Start menu) in which you can set the ICS file to open directly in the existing process, which, by some reason, doesn't seem to be the default behavior.

IPROSetting_UtilsApp.png

Just make sure that the list of formats don't include file formats that you don't want to connect to the open function, with the button Edit List of File Format.

47355[/snapback]

Hi Jonas. I have used this IPRO tool but the settings keep getting lost. Any clues how to make this stick permanently?