Detailing sheet metal parts

rsaucier

I am curious for feedback from users that do a lot of sheet metal detailing. There are two schools of thought. the first is to detail each part on its own sheet, and the other is to put a lot of sheet metal parts on a single sheet. My preference has always been one part per sheet. I am curious what other users are doing and what they think pros and cons are of each idea.

RJ

Hi RJ,

If the production is mechanize, having a drawing booklet type of each part sheet works as I may describe it as a digital production. Drawing generation is faster on the software and hardware as it relies only on single sheet but must have a structured file system repository in place in the organization. Can be archived as work manual on compilation print or pdf

If custom built with semi mechanize production, a single file multi sheets seems easier to follow if one does everything on the build up lean workforce - analog, illustrative. 1 drawing file contains everything, easy to access but takes longer to generate. The drawing file will be larger in size and risk corruption, which in earlier generation SCSI drives was a must and luxury compared to volatile IDE. Current SATA and the SSD generation seems to provide better results on 50+ sheets. If drawing out of sync indicator is tick, can be pain with 50+ sheets. A pitfall of ICDrawing as 2 way associative compared to 1 way associative of CAXA. A sheet with more parts layout seems to work on work table rather flipping sheets.

I am curious for feedback from users that do a lot of sheet metal detailing. ....... My preference has always been one part per sheet.  I am curious what other users are doing and what they think pros and cons are of each idea.

RJ

44809[/snapback]

Hi,

It’s the old rule - K.I.S.

Regardless of sheet metal or machined parts, one item per sheet.

First sheet = main assembly, BOM table, top level drawing #.

Subsequent sheets = individual parts (or sub-assemblies) and sub level dwg# per sheet.

Ironcad ICD drawing s allow you to set properties for the drawing that populate through multiple sheets of a drawing. (File - properties - IronCAD or IronCAD Custom)

Each to their own though, this is my way, others most certainly will work differently.

Mike.

I am curious for feedback from users that do a lot of sheet metal detailing.  There are two schools of thought.  the first is to detail each part on its own sheet, and the other is to put a lot of sheet metal parts on a single sheet.  My preference has always been one part per sheet.  I am curious what other users are doing and what they think pros and cons are of each idea.

RJ

44809[/snapback]

I agree with Mike. Close to 100% of the work I do with IronCad involves sheet metal.

There will be anywhere between 2 to 30 sheet metal parts, maybe more, for any one project I design and sell.

I create a GA of the whole assembly and if it's complex, then some sub-assemblies with key dimensional placement of parts relative to the main structure. Then I create one drawing sheet for each part.

Sounds more than obvious, but the hardest lesson I had to learn actually was how to efficiently name the parts and reference the GA and sub-assemblies to the individual parts. I also create 1:1 dxf unfolded drawings to send to our sub-contractor and again, consistency in naming the parts was essential.

Plenty of 3D isometric sketches with 'detail' views help as I find there are less and less skilled sheet-metal workers around these days and you have to paint pictures for them to avoid mistakes.

Edited by HDEAR