3D TriBall Challenge

tlehnhaeuser

Ok heres an open challenge to anyone interested.

I am looking to 3D print the TriBall, the catch, it needs to work like the actual TriBall.

So if anyone is interested in attempting to model it, feel free to give a shot. If I use your design, I send you a 3d printed sample.

Only constraint is I really don't want the overall size (assembled) to be greater than 2.5" overall

Good luck and enjoy

Tom

Hi Tom,

I got the question how the Triball would look if it was modeled in IRONCAD from a participant at a training a couple of days ago, so I made a quick model just to see what happened. Though it is made in the PU1 beta, so it won't open in IC until PU1 is released and is neither small enough or really "printable" tongue.gif

Triball.png

Triball.ics

I have a question on "it needs to work like the actual TriBall". In IC, the TriBall always looks the same (nothing changes on the geometry). So it is a static model and you select and drag the "Object" although the highlights help give the impression that you are moving a handle. So a real object is static and it moves in your hands. Now if you want it to push/pull/rotate to show the device in real world, it is a different story to make that happen (especially if you want the inner handles to freely move).

Cary

Jonas, very nice job.

Cary, to make it "functional" is difficult hence the challange. I can get certain things to work as you mentioned.

Example if I pull up slightly on a Outer Handle to mimic it's constrained, then the TriBall will move linear and or rotate only along that axis. My thought it will require alot of "tumblers" much like ones found in a lock mechanism. Maybe have 2 TriBalls, one for Outer handles and One for Inner Handles.

tx

t