Affect of Perspective Camera on Speed

Attached are simple rendered images of an assembly with the "Perspective Camera" turned on. The time to render 100% was 46 seconds. However, when I turn off the "Perspective Camera" (keeping everything exactly the same) is takes 4 1/2 minutes just to complete 1%. Why is this?

This slow rendering (without perspective) only occurs with perpendicular views such as front, right, left, top, etc... If I rotate the view slightly so that it isn't perpendicular to the screen then the rendering is fast (with or without perspective).

Any suggestions as to why my perpendicular views are painfully slow to render (when perspective camera is turned off)?

Open_Position___Right_View_with_Perspective.png

Closed_Position___Right_View_with_Perspective.png

It's due to the rendering engine. It was designed to use perspective or a view that has a perspective orientation. Being a realistic engine, it tries to re-create what you would see in the real world which is perspective. True orthogonal views will take a long time to render if it completes at all. For the realistic engine, use perspective to get optimal performance.

You may also turn off the shadow on perpendicular views so the rendering engine won't look for the depth to create it. I will look flat but the color gradient will still be there. Likewise with perspective, you may also narrow down the viewing angle (shallow depth of field) and use the Dolly to position the view, don't use the Zoom feature as it will change the viewing angle.

Joseph

Edited by jolizon590016

You may also turn off the shadow on perpendicular views so the rendering engine won't look for the depth to create it. I will look flat but the color gradient will still be there.

39902[/snapback]

Hi Malcolm,

Getting rusty about this. If it is critical that you want to present a model with perspective off(perpendicular top, front and left), this should be the first step. On Options, go to Rendering>select software on Renderer> set to legacy on Realistic Rendering Engine. Leave the shadow settings as on. Uncompress tiff renders it better but some image viewers are quite selective on this. Please select the image size to your need so anti-alias works with it.

On the image editor app, set the threshold or something similar tool to control the shadow contrast. You may find this switching cumbersome but on certain situation it works, it is a take from the earliest version of IRONCAD. Hope this helps on your end.

Joseph

Edited by jolizon590016