Wheel made from 2D file - how was this done?

HDEAR

This link refers to a video where a wheel is made from what appears to be a 2D file - jpg or pdf or similar.

Being new to IC, I was intrigued as to how this was done.

In fact, when I was convincing my boss to go with IC rather than SW, I showed him this example and it was a selling point. Sooner or later, I will be expected to do a similar exercise so I'd appreciate some help.

Firstly, exactly what type of file was that he used and secondly, how do you get that file into a scene to start with?

Thanks

Edited by HDEAR

Great find. What he did was use a reference 2D drawing projected on a plane to trace. It was an ingenious way as some other 3D software (Intergraph or ICEM) have that kind of sketch feature. This feature previously not available midrange MCAD. You just have to discover a work around to overcome a feature that wasn't available as a standard.

You have to create a 2D shape (box/square) as plane and project or apply the drawing as an image texture on the smart paint command after the 3rd LMB click as a surface/green overlay. The image sketch should have the right image scale so the 3D model will be close to the specified dimension. The TriBall showed its control over the design process.

joseph

Scene3.ics

Edited by jolizon590016