Surface continuity

RVERVOORT

Hello,

I'm very new to IC. In fact, I discovered it only very recently by reading about the KeyShot integration on the KeyShot blog. (I'm a huge KeyShot fan & advocate!)

I'm coming from SolidWorks. The Innovative modeling workflow is extremely refreshing!

For the most part, I'll be using IC to design & document steel constructions.

However, I like to explore the complete toolset, including surfacing.

For surfacing tasks I currently use a combination of SolidWorks and Rhino. On first sight, I can't find a way to construct surfaces with continuity to one another (G1, G2).

Can this currently be done?

Are there plans to include surface blends or matching in future releases?

Dries

Welcome Dries,

I haven't gone this path myself but it something I do want to learn myself. I have been trying to decipher or venture Matt Lombard's SWX Surfacing and Complex Shape Modeling Bible on and off (perplexed) and hopefully translate things relevant with IC as my a project. I myself haven't fully understood the surfacing tools on IC and still peek at once in awhile. You might try to look at the post IRONCAD's cousin as there is more similarity with SE than SWX. You may find clues from Tushar as you are familiar with the SWX surfacing tools.

Regards - joseph

Hi Dries,

IronCAD has many advanced surfacing tools and zebra striping to check continuity. However, not really sure if the surfaces created can be classified as G1 etc.. To be honest not exactly sure what that means. I do know that if you wanted to model a Ferrari using surfacing in IronCAD its possible and theres many tools to "connect" 3d curves to get tangencies etc..

Surfacing in any CAD program is an entirely different mindset than solid modeling. The only common area between solid and surface design that I have found is you need to mentally "break-down" the design into their simplest forms to build upon. This sometimes for me is not too easy.

I think it may be time for some surfacing tutorials from some gurus :-)

Tom

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

In all fairness, IC is pretty amazing as it is right now.

For solid modeling it is vastly more robust and efficient than SolidWorks. I think I'll soon be an "evangelist" for both KeyShot and IC... biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'll be digging into the surfacing tools more to gain some familiarity. I'm sure there will be some "Ahaas" and "Ohoos" here and there.

However, a set of interactive surfacing tools (CV pulling? Boundary matching? Pulling edges while maintaining continuity?) would really put IC in the stratosphere of awesomness. tongue.gif

Or maybe I'm too spoiled by using Rhino and the Shape Modeling Plug-in.

Dries

FYI - I will use Blender to get some some more physics based modeling or subdivision modeling and then import the files using OBJ. This has worked pretty good.

That being said, it would be nice to have some form of subdivision modeling built into IronCAD directly.

T

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dries

Glad to see you here wink.gif

Remember that ICAD supports direct Rhino integration : you can import advanced surfaces modeled in Rhino and add mechanical features in IronCad. Then, from IronCAD Structure Panel you can right click on the Rhino object to edit it with Rhino.

Arnaud