Avoiding large files...

I've noticed when using very tiny helixs, like in different kind of voice coils where the copper wire is very thin and long, the file yielded tends to get very large. The example with the voicecoil in the attached files made the file 16 MB large even when trying to combine shapes as much as I could. When faking the coil, the file shrank to less than 1 MB.

This makes me wonder if there are ways I'm unaware of, to keep a realistic file size? Or maybe tiny but complex shapes like a voicecoil just consumes large amounts of data, and are therefore better left out temporarily when you just wish to render?

diaphragm.jpg

voicecoil.jpg

I've noticed when using very tiny helixs, like in different kind of voice coils where the copper wire is very thin and long, the file yielded tends to get very large. The example with the voicecoil in the attached files made the file 16 MB large even when trying to combine shapes as much as I could. When faking the coil, the file shrank to less than 1 MB.

This makes me wonder if there are ways I'm unaware of, to keep a realistic file size? Or maybe tiny but complex shapes like a voicecoil just consumes large amounts of data, and are therefore better left out temporarily when you just wish to render?

37158[/snapback]

Well as for rendering, What I do is render the coil by itself in a scene, then export the render as a image that I use as a decal when I render the whole assy instead of render the coils iand the assembly together.

AS for file size, I believe someone had a great trick where you to a Block feature that totally encompasses the coil, then save which keeps the file size down and then just suppresess the block as needed.

t

One way I find that I can "slightly" reduce file size is that I do my work in a file that has prefix "start" then when I am done I do a "Save as" and save the file without the word start. the resulting file is some smaller and opens faster.

I agree with what with "t" I was not suggesting that this would work for your need, just in general that when file is re saved using "Save As" that it cleans up file and makes a little smaller.

Dallas

Edited by dhovatter

...what I do is render the coil by itself in a scene, then export the render as a image that I use as a decal when I render the whole assy instead of render the coils iand the assembly together

- Haha, that was exactly what I meant when I wrote 'faking the coil'. Funny. Anyway, I searched the trick you mentioned but came up with no luck. Remember more?

...what I do is render the coil by itself in a scene, then export the render as a image that I use as a decal when I render the whole assy instead of render the coils iand the assembly together

- Haha, that was exactly what I meant when I wrote 'faking the coil'. Funny. Anyway, I searched the trick you mentioned but came up with no luck. Remember more?

37193[/snapback]

Found it!

here ya go:

http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/i...?showtopic=8100

tom