Importing a .dwg into 2D sketch

Hi,

If you import it into a new and empty 2D Shape, then use the Extrude tool to create a new part from that 2D Shape it seems to be working fine.

Have you got Product Update 1 for v2013 installed, or which version are you using?

Superheroes.ics

I do have PU1 installed and I am using Ironcad 2013, build 11124. I was able to successfully load the .dwg into a new and empty 2D shape. My new issue is adding depth to the shape. I can't find a way to convert the 2d shape into something I can extrude. When I attempt to extrude the shape I get the same error seen at the beginning.

When I import the dwg file into the empty sketch there are red points between each line, indicating that the lines are not properly connected. I know from older similar cases that I probably can't extrude it directly, but I have also seen that Finishing the sketch and then creating a new part from that sketch seems to "sew" the lines together automatically, which it did in this case (for me).

I tried the Clear Duplicate tool, but there are no duplicate lines at all. There have been problems with imported dwg/dxf files containing splines throughout the years, but I think it has been working very well in the latest versions.

Can you open the file I attached in the previous post?

When I import the dwg file into the empty sketch there are red points between each line, indicating that the lines are not properly connected. I know from older similar cases that I probably can't extrude it directly, but I have also seen that Finishing the sketch and then creating a new part from that sketch seems to "sew" the lines together automatically, which it did in this case (for me).

I tried the Clear Duplicate tool, but there are no duplicate lines at all. There have been problems with imported dwg/dxf files containing splines throughout the years, but I think it has been working very well in the latest versions.

Can you open the file I attached in the previous post?

36129[/snapback]

Yes I can open the file. I am going to attempt to duplicate your results.

Sometimes when I try to bring Illustrator files I need to open the DWG file in CaxaDraft and use the "FitSpline" tool to convert the splines to actual line geometry then save as DWG and import that into the 3D scene.

36135[/snapback]

That is also our workaround.

Nice! Do you have to export a DWG or can you use Copy/ Paste directly in to the crossection?

36140[/snapback]

From CAXA, I save as .exb (the CAXA native file type.) That helps me to know which files I've fixed. I don't think it's possible to just copy the outline from CAXA to IronCAD.

Edited by Mike Allen