Video Driver

Guest svangeldern

Guest svangeldern

I have an Nvida FX3800 in my 64bit machine running Win7. Win7 and video drivers are current.

Sometimes while working in IC the screen will go black for a second and then recovers.

A message is displayed which says something like "Video driver has stopped working and has recovered...".

My heart does the same.

Anybody else see this or know (Eric F.) what is the cause of this?

Cursory web search says it is Win7 related and not a driver issue.

Just wondering,

Steve

Edited by svangeldern

Hi Steve

I get also on my 64 bit W7 machine. Not sure why.

I also get on my other 64 but W7 that the scene windows get a "fog" over them when I use anything but OpenGL. This is happening on a machine that worked flawless, then one day this "fog" appeared.

Tom

I have an Nvida FX3800 in my 64bit machine running Win7. Win7 and video drivers are current.

Sometimes while working in IC the screen will go black for a second and then recover.

A message is displayed which says something like "Video drive has stopped working and has recovered...".

My heart does the same.

Anybody else see this or know (Eric F.) what is the cause of this?

Cursory web search says it is Win7 related and not a driver issue.

Just wondering,

Steve

32730[/snapback]

I think the latest drivers from nVidia has got serious problems. I've read in several other CAD forums about the same problem and it seems like the latest graphic cards and the latest drivers (from about 27x.xx and forward) works really bad. A few searches online on black graphics and nVidia and I think you'll find the same...

When I upgraded from v.195.62 to 270.61 about a year ago a couple of programs started to get graphic issues. In IC 2011 I can't use the Adv OpenGL anymore, it is all black. It works better in IC 2012 though. My Camtasia Recording Previews are all black too.

If you have an HP or Dell PC you should use the latest approved graphics driver and not the latest from nVidia, because that too is a source of problems.

Most of them that I talk with that have bought a new card from nVidia, x800 or FX 2000 or 4000 have had some kind of issue.

Older cards like 1700, 4500 and similar "hundred" series works just fine. In the x800 series nVidia introduced a new 3D technology, I think it's called CUDA. Maybe it has something to do with this. I'm just guessing.

Just say "No" to updates...

I got a whole bunch o' those kind of errors/problems a while back... but that was, what?, several IC versions and a couple of boxes ago. Haven't had any graphics problems at all lately (except about an hour ago, when in the middle of a heavy editing session, a spaceball cruise gave me a frozen screen with the terminal swirling donut. I had to slam IC shut. But generally no problems...

Here's my config, which has been pretty solid both in DirectX and OpenGL:

post-176-1317192502_thumb.jpgpost-176-1317192511_thumb.jpg

___actually, I'm remembering some stuff...

I think I was able to solve some issues by playing with the settings. There's a zillion of them, so it takes time, but as I recall, things got better when I played with some of the antialiasing settings. Sorry, but I don't remember any specifics...

Edited by EricFoy