G-Code? Export CNC Tool Paths?

jparrish

IC does not produce CNC “G” Code.

I use MasterCam to produce my CNC programs. I use IC to produce all my 3D models. I create all the parts for a complete machine in IC and then save each part separately. I open each part and use the tri-ball to rotate and move the part to where I want the X,Y,Z “0” to be and then “Export” the part to parasolid (.x_t) file that I can open in MasterCam. I keep rotating and moving and exporting till I have all the orientations I need for all the programs. The part comes in at the correct X,Y,Z “0” I either delete the solid body and use the lines/arcs to machine or if it is a part that I want to surface machine I leave the solid body. It is so much easier to create the parts in IC and then bring into MasterCam as Solid then it is to have to recreate the part.

Dallas

Guest EricFoy

I use RhinoCAM extensively, and I really like it!

There are a few issues I have with RhinoCAM, but they're really just a bunch of enhancement requests. It's not the best out there at doing a few things, but I use it for mold-making, which is very demanding in terms of precision, and I HAVE NEVER KNOWN IT TO GOUGE A PART. That's really the bottom line for me.

You have to export either in IGES or STEP, and some surfaces just don't come in right, no matter what settings you try, so sometimes there's some cleanup involved, but once you get it all in there, RhinoCAM has some truly excellent cutting strategies that you have to pay a lot more for in other packages. Also, since it's running in Rhino, you have a truly excellent CAD side to work with, unlike many other CAM systems which have kinda sucky CAD tools.

Some really important cutting strategies include:

• Curve Machining - you layout the toolpath in 2D, it finds the Z along the curve, with fully definable offset curves control.
  • Between 2 Curves Machining - You select the bounding curves and it offsets the intervening paths, evenly spacing the curves *in 3D as projected onto the final surface*
  • Excellent Cut Entry and Exit controls
  • Parallel Finishing with 180-degree arcs connecting bi-directional passes -no hard corners.

It's definitely worth checking out, unless you want to just drop the 20 Large for Delcam or some such.