Direct X is better than OpenGL

Well, got a new computer and when I use the Direct X rendering versus OpenGL the results are STUNNING in every aspect. By turning on the shadows and blur options (not available on OpenGL) my modeling experience gains new life. Its almost like having some a differnt version of IronCAD altogether ( ie. IronCAD 2050).

Also not to mention, my perfomance is increased immensely and my realtime rotations are unbelieveable smooth as opposed to OpenGL.

I think DirectX is the future once the little shadow quirks are worked out.

I have attached a video showing the Blur, shadows and Attentuation options on. However this video doesn;t do justice to seeing it live.

Tom

Vertebrae.7z

Guest EricFoy
...For example: Snap in the sketch is offest a little amount (you can see this in the 3D as well). Some sort of dependency on DirectX I guess.

29457[/snapback]

Cary: Is this the issue discussed here?...

http://www.ironcad.com/support/community/i...wtopic=7390&hl=

If so, then I'm stoked that you are addressing it! I am really looking forward to this being resolved!

• 1 month later...

If this discussion is so, then we can avoid the cost of OpenGL cards and chase high performance DirectX cards?

How can you compare the two types of cards? What gaming card would have the same capability as a Quadro FX 4800 1.5 Gig card?

• 7 months later...

Sorry Jfitz..

I dont have an answer to your question, that's one for the IronDudes.

However, I felt compelled to update this post since the includiong of the Ambient Occulsion option the the Realistic effects.

Below are some screenshots of IronCAD with The new feature on along with shadows and reflection blur and ambience. The amzing thing is these images are NOT rendered, this is strictly from the modeling mode.

ICC_MC.jpg

ICC_MC2.jpg

ICC_MC3.jpg

ICC_MC4.jpg

ICC_MC5.jpg

Tom

...I thought so. smile.gif

One of the fllights has a short stop in NY-

Unfortunately I am just 4 days in USA

...at the opening of a large privat Sculpture Park in Indianapolis, where I sold a big sculpture! smile.gif

Yeah!

Lucky that the race is at this time so I can see it!

smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just astonished by the quality images the DirectX provides. In some cases the screenshots are 100X better than a rendered image. I especially like the the way transparent parts look.

BTW, Carlo, what did you think of the end of the race?

MCBlue6.jpg

MCBlue4.jpg

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

Very happy with system now running Nvidia Geforce 560, running in Direct X mode, do your worst with rendering options and it does not hesitate in real time. The really cool thing is saving animations delivers in screen rendering quality. An animation rendering that would take 36 hours is now done in 30 seconds, a rendering that I would not even attempt will be done in 5 minutes, 800MBytes or so. Just set up the the realism features on the normal screen set up and export animation using realistic settings.

I get best results from a frame size of 720 x 576 and 15 or 25 frames per second into AVI without compression. Then use Format Factory to translate into WMV etc, very fast.

Only thing I have just tried but was disappointed by - was trying to render an animation with an assembly feature cut away. Just got white screens, though the rendering time reflected the model re-development for each frame.

Nevertheless, thank you Irondudes and Hoops for a brilliant tool. wink.gif

Hi Tom

That was great!

Fast & Powerfull!

PS I was as well at Atlanta Airport!

I thought on you Iron Cad people. smile.gif

Well the end was very dramatic!

....thats how a happy client looks!

Best

Carlo

Carlo_Indy_1.jpg

Christel___Carlo_422_int.jpg