Dimensioning

Doug Gower

I should know this by now, but it's been confusing me what type of line this is. I have a line in "edit drawing view" that I want on my dimension layer (red). It's connecting centermarks, centerlines, etc. However when I select the line right click and get properties it's called out as Style: 0.50mm Solid, Line Type: 0.50mm Solid. I want to have it on the dimension layer every time I connect center marks etc. So if I go to Styles, Layers, and Defaults. I have "View Curves" and "Sheet Curves" set to dimensions layer but it still doesn't draw on the dimension layer. What am I doing wrong. Is there another layer I need to set to dimensions?

Well it appears to be working now. I guess maybe you have to close and re-open the file for changes to take place. Still I find it frustrating in this case that you can't tell what layer the line is on so you just have to change layers until you get the right one and on top of that have to close and re-open the file each try. This should probably be filed as a problem.

When you right-click on a line and go to the properties, at the top you will see the Style and the Layer. You can set both.

The Styles and Layers Dialog will set the default behavior and you can also set all elements to use the current set styles (That is what the Reset button does (it reset all the elements in the drawing to the current set values). By the way, you should not need to close and reopen the drawing to see changes apply for new elements created. Existing elements will not change unless you reset.

Cary

When you right-click on a line and go to the properties, at the top you will see the Style and the Layer. You can set both.

The Styles and Layers Dialog will set the default behavior and you can also set all elements to use the current set styles (That is what the Reset button does (it reset all the elements in the drawing to the current set values). By the way, you should not need to close and reopen the drawing to see changes apply for new elements created. Existing elements will not change unless you reset.

Cary

29261[/snapback]

Hi Cary,

I knew you could set the Style and Layer both in the properties but I was trying to set it permanently. So now I don't understand the reset button. I was assuming it resets everything back to the original IronCAD settings but then what do you mean by... "it resets all the elements in the drawing to the current set values?" current set - what is that?

I also noticed this long ago having a red layer when I draw a line it is black until I click off and or it redraws. When I did this and it didn't change to red I thought maybe I had to close the drawing and re-open for the settings to take effect, but now that you said I should not have to close and reopen I'll have to try it again to see why I thought that was what happened. I still think main my problem was trying to figure out what layers the different type lines are on.

Thanks

Current Set meant the current settings. Open the Styles and Layer dialog. What you see in the Style and Layers for the drawing elements are the current setting when creating new drawing elements. It does not mean that these are the setting currently on the drawing for the elements. For example: You can create a sheet curve using .5mm solid on layer A. Then go to the styles and layers dialog and change both settings to .7mm and Layer B and hit ok. The sheet curve will not change to the new setting. If you draw a new sheet curve, it will use the .7mm and Layer B. If you go to the styles and layers dialog and select on Sheet Curves drawing element and then hit Reset, it will update all the sheet curves on the drawing to use the current settings in the dialog for styles and layers. I hope that helps clarify the issue.

Cary

Current Set meant the current settings. Open the Styles and Layer dialog. What you see in the Style and Layers for the drawing elements are the current setting when creating new drawing elements. It does not mean that these are the setting currently on the drawing for the elements. For example: You can create a sheet curve using .5mm solid on layer A. Then go to the styles and layers dialog and change both settings to .7mm and Layer B and hit ok. The sheet curve will not change to the new setting. If you draw a new sheet curve, it will use the .7mm and Layer B. If you go to the styles and layers dialog and select on Sheet Curves drawing element and then hit Reset, it will update all the sheet curves on the drawing to use the current settings in the dialog for styles and layers. I hope that helps clarify the issue.

Cary

29285[/snapback]

OK, I got this all the way up until I hit reset. If I hit reset all of the lines on the drawing update to .7mm INCLUDING the template lines that are .030mm Solid (style) and Text (type). Note: the template was also locked and those were not sheet curves until I hit reset. Mine were set to template. Did I do something wrong or is this a bug?

Hopefully there's another way to change only the sheet curves or whatever element you want to change. If not, I don't see why you should be able to do this or what use reset has? If I wanted to change the first line I drew at .5mm (in your instructions) or many lines... there's no easy way to change them except to select each one individually and change them that way. Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong there.

Edited by Doug Gower

Template lines are just sheet curves. There is not a Template curve tool so that is why they would change as well. If you want to change specific lines on the drawing, you can select them all and change them at once or use the property eye-dropper to apply settings to other curves.

Cary

Template lines are just sheet curves. There is not a Template curve tool so that is why they would change as well. If you want to change specific lines on the drawing, you can select them all and change them at once or use the property eye-dropper to apply settings to other curves.

Cary

29296[/snapback]

I can do that.

I just wonder... does anyone else have a problem understanding this?

There's a layer for sheet curves and the sheet curves (drawing elements) are on the sheet curves layer. I also have a layer for template but the template lines are sheet curves.

Before I have to try and understand the Styles and Layers dialog box anymore, I'll try to make time to look at CAXA.

I guess I never really thought that much into the layers. From my view, a layer is just a group of elements. It could be any element that I want to set a group of items on that I can turn on/off or display the same. So the template layer and sheet curve layer makes some sense to me in that regard. But I can see from an AutoCAD background that the template is an object not just curves. Maybe that is the difference in understanding in IRONCAD since our templates are not a object (block or something). Templates in IRONCAD are just lines and text.

Cary