2D Drawing Standard View Creation Question

Cary OConnor

Hi All,

We want to get you feedback on a certain behavior that is in IronCAD today, before we attempt to make an enhancement to it. So please let us know if you are using the behavior listed below.

In the 2D Drawing, users can create standard views based on the Front View Orientation of the model. Today, there is a behavior that is allowed that we want to change. For Example: A user creates a right view of the model based on the front view orientation shown in the Standard View Creation Dialog. After creating the view, a user can click on the Standard View Creation Dialog to add additional views (like Front and Top). When the Standard View Creation Dialog is open, the Front View Orientation is referencing the orientation used to create the initial view (the Right view). However while in this mode, the user can change the Front View Orientation and select on the additional views to be created. The newly created views will be based off the altered Front View Orientation and not the original Front View Orientation while the original Right View will use the original Front View Orientation (Which seems to be a little strange to us).

Questions:

1. Are you aware of this functionality?
  2. Is anyone actually using this for a reason?

Why do you ask (you might say)?

Well, we want to enhance the Standard Creation Dialog to allow the user to redefine the Front View orientation used. For Example: In the case above, if the Front View Orientation is altered, all views using the orientation will be updated (unlike the current behavior where there are certain views using one orientation and others using a different orientation). In our opinion, if you wanted to have views using different Front View Orientation, we would recommend using the General View Creation. The Standard View Creation Views should all be in sync using the same Front View Orientation and users should be allowed to modify the Front View orientation at anytime. (This also makes it a lot easier to implement other enhancements requested like multiple standard views of different parts on a single sheet biggrin.gif).

So, please let us know if you are actually using the current functionality and if you oppose the enhancement.

Thanks,

Cary

SelectionTool.zip

I would highly value being able to change the orientation of all the views after they are placed by changing the orientation of the front view

Frequently I am creating a drawing and cannot tell which side of the part I am looking at during front view selection (is this the side of the plate with the countersinks or not?). If I guess incorrectly, I have to erase the views and guess again. An alternate solution to this would be to have better clarity when selecting the front view orientation, perhaps being able to select a translucent view, a 2d preview, allowing zooming and panning, or just draw the darn part edges in the Current Front View Direction rendering.

Even if selecting the front view was clearer, I would still have an occasional need to change the orientation of the views when the part is revised.

So, "No," I don't use the current functionality, and, "Yes, please," for the enhancement.

I don't (ab)use the current functionality either. However, if you change it the way you describe, how would you handle associated views (sections, etc.), which usually depend on the orientation of the standard view?

Beat

I know some other CAD apps create other views directly off other views by pick and drop process. This may be a better way to approach it, then you could possibly eliminate the need for the whole dwg view creation box all together. Waht could be added is a "link" cursor that when you move the mouse over a drawing view, a link "rope" would point to the assocaited view.

Much like mirrored constraints act in the 2D profile of IronCAD. This would eliminate any confusion to what views are assocaitietive to each other. This could also extend to external links if necessary.

While we hear, you would of course need to add some options to this such as :

- UnLink

- Link to another View

- Link to another Source (external)

etc...

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

I didn't know you could do that! Usually if I need two front views, I just right-drag the existing view and copy it to the new location - but I think that I could find a use for having two front views that are associative, now that I know it's possible.

Tom has a good point that you should be able to disassociate the view if necessary, or associate it to another view.

Guest Ramzi Asfour

1. I wasn't aware of this functionality, however, I'm not sure how useful it could be.

Views of a single part/assy should all relate to each other according to standard third angle projection systems (ANSI and ISO). Once you create a front view with an orientation shown in the "current front view orientation" picture box, all subsequent views relating to that initial front view should match the third angle projection system. So if you run the "standard view creation" command again to add a right view and change the "current front view orientation" in the picture box, all the related views should update to reflect the new orientation.

So...

2. No, I don't oppose the Standard View Creation enhancement. I think that it's the proper way to manage views.

3. Enhancement request:

Adding an option within the command to create a new set of standard views within the same drawing/sheet in order to detail multiple parts on a singe sheet. This option could be in the form of a check box that resets the drawing view selection (i.e. removes all the blue highlites). Clicking "ok" with this option selected will create a new set of related views.

3b. WICKED ENHANCEMENT REQUEST:

1. Create a view (front, right, left, top, whatever) using the "Standard Views Creation" command.

2. Select the newly created view.

3. Hold down the shift/ctrl/alt key and drag to the left/right/top/bottom to create new related views.

thanks,

RA

I really like Ramzi's proposed enhancements! I rarely create part drawings, but I could often use multiple sets of standard views on the same sheet for other technical illustration tasks.

I especially like his proposed method for creating associated orthographic views by dragging from the existing view. Anytime you can bypass a menu or dialog box with a control key is a big time-saver.

1. Was aware of this feature, but don't really use it that much. I make alot of part prints, but after putting the initial views in with the Standard View option, I use the General view option to place additional part views. I use the general view based off the scene mostly on assembly drawings to show hidden areas of the station or head.

2. I'm all for multiple views on a sheet.

While this would be nice a more valuable tool would be one that allows you to turn hidden lines off in a specific part. Right know my only options are hide the part , turn off all of the hidden lines or live with all of the hidden lines. I get a lot of negative comments from my customers on the last option. Anything you could do in the next release would be appreciated.