Need Help w/dimension

Corey Cooper

Hi,

I assume you want to add this in the 2D Drawing correct? If so, use the SmartDimension tool. Hold the Shift Key and select one of the edges of the cutout (Holding the shift-key will allow you to select an edge and another reference point instead of automatically selecting the edge for a dimension). Next, select the other edge of the cutout. This will give you the desired parallel dimension.

Cary

Hi Cory,

There are several ways to do this.

1.) If in the 2D drawing environment do this: Click SMARTDIMENSION > Then click a point on one "edge" > then click the edge (not a point) on the second edge. Wallah.

OR

2.) To put on Isometric View do this: In the Scene attached a SmartDimension by selecting 1 point and 1 surface, make sure to right click on dimesnion an check "Transfer to drawing".

Once you create the drawing, this dimemsion with show up on a orthogonal view, simply right clcik the dimension and select " Move to another view" and click the isometric view.

Hope this helps.

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

Thanks Cary, thats exactly how I wanted to dimension it.

Tom

#1 Didnt work until I held the shift key like Cary said to do, all it did was pick the whole edge and try to dimension it.

As far as #2. I've not really played around with dimensions in the scene and transferred to the drawing. I usually only dimension to verify geometry.

Thanks for all the help.

Seeing as you guy's were so helpful with my last question. Here's another one. How would I go about dimensioning a keyway from the opposite side of the bore to the top of the keyway, when I pick the bore, it wants to pick the center.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=831

Sorry about the childish looking picture, all I have to use is paint.

post-4551-336-9962.jpg_thumb

quote:Originally posted by tlehnhaeuser:

Hi Cory,

Thats Odd that it doesn't work, becuase it works fine here. You must be the point FIRST then the edge. This eliminates the need for the shift key. Either way, I'm glad you got it working.

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

id=quote>
id=quote>

That was my fault, tried again and it worked fine.

Hi Corey,

Is there a quadrant point on the circle that you can snap to? In some of the cases, this will get you the desired result. However, it may not solve the needs in all cases. In the next version of IronCAD, you will have the ability to change the dimensions on circles or circular arcs to reference the maximum or minimum points. For example: In your case, I would place the dimension from the circle to the point on the key way. Next, I would edit the dimension to change it to the maximum position on the circle. This would give you the desired result in this case. Hope this helps out.

Cary

quote:Originally posted by Cary OConnor:

For example: In your case, I would place the dimension from the circle to the point on the key way. Next, I would edit the dimension to change it to the maximum position on the circle. This would give you the desired result in this case. Hope this helps out.

Cary

id=quote>
id=quote>

Thats what it does now, it will pick the origin of the circle. I was able to get around it by dimensioning in a section view of the part (not what my machine shop is used to seeing, but they're manage). Are we going to have the ability to edit all dimensions including linear as well. Right now as you know once a dimension is placed there is no way to edit it, if you picked the wrong point and/or points, the only was is to delete and re-dimension.

I just found an interesting workaround to my keyway dimensioning problem, and what I found is instead of dropping an H-Cylinder and a H-Block to create the keyway, if I extrude the whole shape IE: the circle with the keyway as one extruded shape, I'm able to dimension the way I need too. That way I'll be able to drop it into a catalog and drop on to any part I need and edit the shape to what I need.

You can edit smart dimensions in the scene. In this case, you'd do what Cary said - dimension from the center of the circle to the top of the keyway, then drag the dimension from the center of the circle to the bottom quadrant. Right-click your dimension and select "Transfer to Drawing."

quote:Originally posted by Mike Allen:

You can edit smart dimensions in the scene. In this case, you'd do what Cary said - dimension from the center of the circle to the top of the keyway, then drag the dimension from the center of the circle to the bottom quadrant. Right-click your dimension and select "Transfer to Drawing."

id=quote>
id=quote>

I just tried that. I was able to actually pick the bottom of the circle like I need to do if I looked directly at the face, and then "transfer to drawing".