Color disappeared in exported obj file

Guest jkim522093

Guest jkim522093

As far as I remember, older version of IronCAD supports the color when export to obj file.

When export the model with different colored parts to obj file format, that obj file maintains the color of the parts.

So I could import that obj file into HyperShot and apply different material to different parts based on the color.

But in IC 2009, when export to obj, all the color of the parts become default gray.

So when import this obj file into HyperShot for rendering, all the parts become just one and I could not apply different texture to different part.

JH

As far as I remember, older version of IronCAD supports the color when export to obj file.

…

But in IC 2009, when export to obj, all the color of the parts become default gray.

27427[/snapback]

JH,

there's no difference to previous versions, as far as I can see. OBJ never handled colors within the file itself, but always references to a *.MTL file, which is written by IC 2009 as usual, if enabled in the export dialog.

The target application can fail to read this MTL file, if it's not placed in the same folder or better: in the folder specified within the OBJ file. You can check the MTL path, if you open the OBJ file using a text editor. Right at the beginning there should be a line "mtllib C:\...". This is the path where the target application (in your case HyperShot) looks for the MTL file. But many applications fail to read a MTL file correctly, anyway... even if the correct path is specified.

As an alternative, you could try the 3DS format, which carries colors "inline". On export, enable either "group objects by material" or "group objects by proximity and material" (the latter for keeping parts as such, without "melting" them together). I don't use HyperShot, but I've got better results using the 3DS format in other applications.

Bernd

Edited by Bernd Meißner

Guest jkim522093
I also think that parasolid and step will maintain colors

27476[/snapback]

But unfortunately, we failed to import the step file from IronCAD into HyperShot,

and HyperShot does not support x_t.

And HyperShot does not seem to read .mtl file either.

I think I have to talk to BunkSpeed too on this.

JH