dimension line issues...

Doug Gower

OK, seems like there should be a simple solution to this problem, so I am wondering what other IC users recommend or keep this in mind, should I forget about all this and install the new version/ CAXA Draft and use that instead? Please see the pdf attached.

So in the center of my drawing (pdf) I have a couple dimensions that are next to or almost on top of each other, so I've drawn draw a line (3 segments) around the two screw holes in the center to make it obvious that the dimension line goes around.

To add the three line segments I right clicked in the view and selected edit view. If I don't do that, I can't connect the segments to the ends of the center lines... matter of fact I'm not sure they all connected this way either, but at least I can get closer.

Next problem:

Another problem with the 3 line segments is... even though they look the same width they print out almost twice as wide as the center lines they're connected to so it looks like hell along with all the other dimension lines in the drawing. I think they are printing out at .500mm compared to .300mm for the center lines connected and other dimension lines here. You can see it on the pdf if you zoom in.

Alright, so I select the line to see what type... first of all I have to right click and go back to edit view before I can rt click on the line segments to see what type they are... Finally I get the line segments set to "Chain" like the center lines they are attached to. Doesn't matter... the line width is still incorrect, even though it says it's .30mm it has a style saying it's .50mm solid (2). Still looks like .50mm is whats printing out.

Well, been here before.................................... can anyone or better yet does anyone even want to attempt to explain the correct way to do all of this? or should I forget about it and install the new version aka: CAXA Draft?

The drawing part of this hasn't ever been user friendly too me. I have high hopes for the new version. Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks IC folks.

IC_drawing_lines.pdf

In a nutshell, go to the Styles & Layers dialog box & make sure that the View Curves line style matches the line style for your Centerlines (since you are using view curves to connect the centerlines from two holes. It looks as though you currently have the default line type for view curves set to .50 mm Solid.

The reason to use Edit View, by the way, is that the added lines will then scale with the view. They don't actually connect with your dimension lines or centerlines, because those aren't in the view - they are on the sheet, (but not to be confused with sheet curves, since sheet curves have their own settings - I've always considered sheet curves "for looks only.")

In a nutshell, go to the Styles & Layers dialog box & make sure that the View Curves line style matches the line style for your Centerlines (since you are using view curves to connect the centerlines from two holes. It looks as though you currently have the default line type for view curves set to .50 mm Solid.

The reason to use Edit View, by the way, is that the added lines will then scale with the view. They don't actually connect with your dimension lines or centerlines, because those aren't in the view - they are on the sheet, (but not to be confused with sheet curves, since sheet curves have their own settings - I've always considered sheet curves "for looks only.")

27412[/snapback]

Hi Mike,

The line style I have for Centerlines is Chain (nothing else available). The layer is dimensions (I added for a seperate layer). The line style for View Curves is 0.50mm Solid and layer is base.

There is no style option - Chain in view curves and there is no style option "0.50mm Solid" in the centerlines options. What would you suggest I do?

Here are some visual aids.

First, there are two buttons for controlling styles:

Style_Buttons1.gif

Line Types is where you specify what each line type is. So if you wanted to change the thickness of the Chain line type, this is where you would do it. Or you can also create new line types.

In your case, you just want to match an existing line type so you just have to go to Styles & Layers.

ScreenShot008.jpg

Select "View Curves" from the list. In the section that says "Available Styles" pick the style you want to modify (you can have more than one.) Click the Modify button. Change the drop down from "0.50mm Solid" to "Chain."

ScreenShot009.jpg

Now when you make a line in Edit View, it will be with the Chain line type (so it should match your center lines.)

Edited by Mike Allen

Mike,

Believe it or not I'm still having the same problem after I followed your instructions. The small lines I added look OK but if you go to print the problem is still there. I can only see it if I print though. I don't understand?

I'm attaching the drawing incase anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

Thanks,

Doug

Base_Plate__Angle_Fixture.icd

If you are only having the problem when you print, do you have the " Use zero-width line " box checked in printing window?

27450[/snapback]

Thanks Mike-

Looks like that was it. If I turn off "use zero-width lines" in sheet setup now dimension lines look all the same width, and this didn't help but it looks like "use zero-width line" in the print dialog box controlls the other lines in the drawing. Hmmm... have to remember that next time the printout looks different than the screen?