2009 XG 32 bit loading problem

fhunt

Hello Fellow IronCAD people,

Has anyone had any problems getting the trial download of 2009 XG to work in XP Media Center Edition or Home Edition? I've tried it on three separate machines and it just will not "fire up". Kevin (remotely) accessed one of my machines and said it looked like everything installed properly. I've turned off everything I can in my Windows tray, but this didn't help.

Kevin tells me that the Irondude programmers only "guarantee" that the program will run on XP Professional. As far as I can tell, there should be no reason that a program that runs on XP Professional would not run on the other "flavors" of XP.

My systems are either HP of Dell. None of them were "low end". They were intended for the discriminating retail customer. They came packaged with the operating system.

It seems to me that many of you are "dealers". I'd be interested to know if most of your customers (using XP) purchased XP Professional. I envision the typical IronCAD user as rather cost conscious. I would not be surprised to find that much of the installed user base runs the program on "off-the-shelf" computer systems. If this is true, I'd like to know if the issues I'm having are wide spread. If they are, I would be surprised to find that cost conscious customers would be willing to upgrade their hardware. I know I'll have to delay my implementation of 2009 XG for 6 months or more (if my only option is to buy a new computer). Do one of you "dealers" have an XP Professional upgrade you can sell me?

I'm not a programmer. I don't mess with the Registry or any other of the Windows "inner workings". I'm pretty much lost if I put the program in and it doesn't run. Any help and/or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you for providing what help you can.

Fred

IronCAD does not support the Home editions, but I have seen reports that it works. My guess is that it might be a security issue initially. Try to see if you can start IronCAD under an administrator users like "Run As Administrator" option on the right-click of the ironcad.exe. Other than that, I would suggest an upgrade approach.

Cary

Guest EricFoy

My personal experience:

I've been running IronCAD since it was Trispectives. I've had it installed on something like 10 or 12 machines, all with various flavors of Windows. So far in my experience I've never had any problems that required an upgrade from Windows Home to Windows Pro. In fact, on one computer, I specifically recall concluding that upgrading the OS from Home to Pro was a waste of money, as IC ran equally well on either, and the upgrade not only cost money, but raised numerous other compatibility issues.

Anyway, that's been my experience. I would say that an HP or a Dell with XP-Home should work. But don't forget to do everything (including brew your coffee) As Administrator.

BTW: Just to make sure here... Running the install or the app "As Administrator" means more than simply being logged in to an admin account when invoking the executable. In Windows, the OS totally plays dumb with you, pretending that you're as dumb as it pretends to be (which is probably a safe assumption for most of us cool.gif ). You have to right-click the executable or shortcut and select "Run As Administrator." I always do this for the install, as well as the first time I run the app (very important).

Edited by EricFoy

IronCAD does not support the Home editions, but I have seen reports that it works. My guess is that it might be a security issue initially. Try to see if you can start IronCAD under an administrator users like "Run As Administrator" option on the right-click of the ironcad.exe. Other than that, I would suggest an upgrade approach.

Cary

27222[/snapback]

Well, Administrator didn't work. The question now is, "If I can locate a copy of the XP Professional upgrade, install it, and IronCAd still will not work, what will IronCAD do for me?" The pat answer so far has been, "We don't support anything but XP Pro, so there is nothing we can do". I'm suspecting that the program will function the same once I upgrade. Will IronCAD's position be, "Oh well, I guess it just doesn't work on your system". If so, I might as well save myself the hassle (and expense) of upgrading and just wait until I can afford a Windows 7 capable machine.

Thanks for your continuing interest in my plight.

Fred

Two additional questions. Can the problem be that a prior versions of IronCAD is already on the computer? The literature said 2009 XG could be loaded with another version present. Kevin tells me the program is recognizing the trial copy license file. If I try to install with my full license (when it arrives) and the program still will not run, will the license be "tied up"? How do I get it "released"?