Cadalyst magazine poll

Guest svangeldern

Guest svangeldern

I received an email from Cadalyst magazine asking me to fill out a questionnaire to "help" them better serve their subscribers.

Always one to do my part to help out I clicked on the link and was presented a long list (maybe 15-20) of CAD software from which I was to select what I currently use or intend to purchase in the near future.

Guess what... I had to select "other" as Ironcad was not on the list. How can it be that this great software package, and the people behind it, was omitted?

Did anyone else see this survey?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I don;t understand it either. For the life of me, It ticks me off when I see these polls. Also when I read CAD related articles when the author always says "no CAD software can accomplish this" when 99% of time IronCAD can or has eliminated the so-called delima that the article relates to. This ticks me off even more, because these authors should do their homework before making these statements that the CAD community takes to heart. Joe Greco is the biggest contributor to this fact. Not to knock Joe, but he should maybe before writing an article contact the CAD companies and get a yes or no answer to some of his remarks.

I just recently saw an article by Andrew Brown from Delphi about how ALL CAD companies have trouble with editing there parts downstream of the design process and therefore conducted extensive research from their engineers to come up with "Horizontal Modeling" technique. Who knows how much time, effort and money was spent on this, when it could have taken a simple 10 sec phone call to IronCAD to learn that IRONCAD DOESN"T HAVE THAT PROBLEM!.

Arrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhh!

I'm getting off on a tangent here. If anyone knows where I can post my issues that reaches other CAD users besides the already elite and all-knowing group of IronCAD users. please let me know.

Thanks

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

Guest ebedding

The Delphi article appeared in Machine Design Jan 8, 2004 p75. "Engineers at Delphi's Steering Systems Div., Saginaw Mich., searched for a commercial solution that would link 3D design data to to manufacturing. They found none"... "Unfortunately, feature based, solid-modeling software has not made it easier for designers to work closely with manufacturers"... "edits can be cumbersome... when a model must be changed by someone who did not originally build it. The model could be scrapped or rebuilt from scratch, or hacked and whacked."

Why is this topic off the radar screen of CAD reviewers? We are constantly working on and building off each others models which is no problem in IronCad. Feature based modeling with all the downstream problems & constraints making edits difficult does not work at all in a fluid design environment. How to get IronCad onto the radar screen?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been annoyed by the lack of coverage of IC in these magazines for atleast a year.

So I just sent the editors of Cadalyst Mag this letter. I suggest everyone who reads this to send something similar. We the users need to tell the editors of these magazines that we want to see their opinions of IC in print. If IC is to get the recognition it so deserves.

Editors,

I've been receiving your magazine for a number of years. I have enjoyed the articles on Inventor, SolidWorks, SolidEdge, & Pro-E. However, I feel that you are neglecting one of the better MCAD packages out there, IronCAD. I have used all of the packages mentioned here, and prefer IronCAD to any of them. IronCAD is faster, more versatile and gets me to the end product quicker than any of the aforementioned MCAD packages.

IronCAD 7 will be released this spring, and I would like to see how you stack it up against the other MCAD packages of which you have so diligently concentrated your reviews and opinions.

Thank you,

Joel Parrish

www.pai-design.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Yes, it is unfortunate that IronCad has been neglected in many articles.

Tom, I believe Joe Greco is doing his homework. I recently have spoken with him on a few CAD issues. I personally have given IronCad a great review. I actually use Inovate but use other software packages as well, Powershape, ArtCam and a few others since I do many freeform shapes.

I hope that his future articles will mention and give IronCad a good review as it deserves. It is an excellent package that I cannot imagine being without.

Neal

Hi Neal,

I appreciate your response. Its always good to get other views and appreciate putting a good word in for IronCAD. I'm just curious what Joe said to you, when you referenced IronCAD. Was it positive, negative, indifferent, or other.

Again, not knocking Joe, because he's not the only one that makes incorrect statements, but there are numerous articles that I have read of his that do not "totally" hit the mark when he makes general statements. I realize that no one man can know every aspect of every CAD software, thats why some "homework" really needs to be done. Im curious to understand what type of homework he does (and all other reportes too).

And Joe, if you read this, its nothing personal, just trying to get IronCAD a fair shake in the CAD industry. I'm sure that IronCAD is not the only CAD company that have been overlooked or their share of "misconceptions".

As a reseller of IronCAD, I can't count how many times I go into an account only to fight off all kinds of misconceptions about IronCAD and when asked the potential client how he came up with these sometimes ludicrous ideas, their remarks are inevitably, " I read an article", "I heard from a friend, who read an article", etc... I am typically able to overcome them, but it makes it very difficult for me.

So you can see my passion, relating to this topic.

Just putting in as usual my 2 cents.

Tom Lehn...

Magnacad Design Inc.

Hi Tom,

Everybody has the right to put their two cents in, even me. In my discussions with Joe, he seems to be very positive about most software's. Unfortunately, as you said, no one person can know everything about all the software packages out there. As you know, the more you use a particular package you will keep finding new ways to do things and find options that you didn't even realize were available. Every package seems to have their strong and weak points. I know we all read some of these articles and wonder why Ironcad isn't even mentioned. I sincerely hope this changes in the future.

I believe that Joe is seeking external help, as me, to find out what some of these packages have that he may have overlooked so he can give a more accurate description of the product.

Neal