Export Illustrator text to create 3D in IronCAD

iredfern

Having real issues trying to switch a text file to 3D.

Importing it into ICAD fine, but then having issues extruding it ( cross section curves over lapping) have switched to ACIS as I have seen mentioned in other posts

Can anyone recommend the best settings to get the file out of Illustrator, we are currently exporting as DXF. their are a number of settings that I belive could be tweaked, but I'm not sure which ones !

Thanks

Ian

Hello Ian,

There can sometimes be problem extruding imported splines. I have had similar problems earlier. I think you should send the DXF file to Kevin so that he can test if that might be the problem.

One thing I've noticed in .dxf files from Illustrator is that some text characters consist of a single spline object which seems to be the geometry that IronCAD has trouble extruding. Other solid modelers seem to have trouble with them too so if there is a way to "explode" those charaters into multiple geometric elements, maybe that would work better.

Also, if Illustrator has any kind of accuracy setting for determining the distance between the matching endpoints of adjacent lines, arcs, splines, etc., maybe it can be set tighter, such as .0001mm or smaller.