Morphing in INOVATE?

I am new to INOVATE and have learnt how to draw a 2D profile and "spin" it to form a solid cylindrical object. I noticed the drop and drag animations in the Catalogue browser are really simplistic -- i.e. translate in x or y for example or hop or fly in or fly out. What I would like to do for my solid spun cylindrical object is to have it animate being "squashed" between two dies -- so the spun object reduces in height and expands sideways simultaneously maintaining the volume. I noticed handles are available to yank the 2D profile which updates the spun object. Is it possible to attach an animation effect to the yanking of the 2D handle? This should make the squashing between two dies possible and look realistic.

Thanks for your help,

Urban De Souza

Sr. Project Engineer

ATI Allvac R&D

Tom-

I'm impressed!  As I understood the problem he wants to change a cross section with time.  I didn't think that was possible.  How do you do that (or, how do you plan on making it look like that is happening)?

23397[/snapback]

Hi Mike,

well for arguments sake lets take a spring, if you creat it the spring with start and end intellishapes and the middle helix as third intellishape which is associated faces on, you could animate an end intellishape and when you generate the animation it would look like the spring compresses.

I'm assume Urbans may bit a bit easier than a spring, but I learned long ago to never assume. biggrin.gif

I know Cary created such an animation, I will see if I can find it unless Cary beats me to the punch.

cheers

tom

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

Tom-

You sure do have a lot of cool tricks in your bag there. So, that spring in 3 shapes... and I assume the "top" of the spring is just a portion of 1 coil that is being translated trough space during the animation, and that the "bottom" of the spring is also just a tiny fraction of the end of the spring that remains at a constant position in the animation? I would love to get my hands on the .ics that the spring animation came from...Hint Hint Cary?

Its not 100% but provides the theory. Once you understand you can "morph" shapes using associative edges, then its up to you to determine which geometry needs to move an be constrained.

tom

BTW, I noticed I needed to add a tangency constraint. So this file should be better

Cylinder_Deform.ics

Edited by tlehnhaeuser

Tom,

I ran the animation and it's looks pretty realistic!. Am impressed! I wish you had added a last step to move up the upper die to expose the final deform shape -- but I'll try to figure that out. Will show the avi to my FEA colleagues who will be tickled.

I am now figuring what you you did (and learning INOVATE too). At first glance, you created your own cylinder since it probably had the shape change parameters/handles you needed. Then added constraints between the parameters. Then added motion to the top die to the final position. Then added the same speed at the appropriate time, to the top surface of the cylinder. Can you list the INOVATE GUI tools you used in sequence and I'll try to figure what you did?

Thanks for the morphing demo!

Urban

Its not 100% but provides the theory. Once you understand you can "morph" shapes using associative edges, then its up to you to determine which geometry needs to move an be constrained.

tom

BTW, I noticed I needed to add a tangency constraint. So this file should be better

Cylinder_Deform.ics

23427[/snapback]

Edited by udesouza

Tom,

THanks for the video and narration. Now I know how you did it. I tried to create a projection constraint myself between a segment of my 2D curve profile and a dummy animation block but kept getting an error, it was telling me I was selecting the same part for the projection constraint. I looked up help on projection constraint but did not have much luck.

Regards,

Urban

Hi Urban,

I have attached a video with explanation. I hope it helps.

I used a compression software that you may need to download to unzip the attached, its free.

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Cheers

Tom

Urban.7z

23464[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I've figured how to use projection constraint to attach a straight line section of a 2D profile spun object to a separate block - thanks to the help received from this forum. Any animation motion applied to the block causes the 2D profile to change and thus also the spun object.

Now what I'd like to be able to do is attach a bezier or spline point to a separate block as an extension of the concept?. Anyone know how to do this? I believe if this is possible then one can get smooth spun objects with much less disjointness during "morphing".

thanks,

Urban

Edited by udesouza