Edit handles on extruded shapes

Mike Allen

Prior to PU1, "Edit distance" on an extruded shape used to have a default value of the current extrude height. Now it reads 0. So if I want to know the current height, I have to go to Intellishape Properties and click the Sizebox tab. I can see that this makes the interface the same as Sheetmetal, but I'm not sure that's such a good thing. If I want to set the height of a shape to 23", I have to go to the Sizebox tab, rather than just right-clicking the handle and entering 23. Is there a setting that I'm missing that controls this behavior?

Hi Mike,

Yes the handles did change, however they have more control. You can right-click on the extrude handle and select edit distance from point. This would allow you to select the opposite extrude face or other points to set the desired distance. For future releases, you will see additional controls on the profile handles that will make it far superior to the current version. So stay tuned. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Cary

OK, I can live with that. The most difficult thing about new features is figuring out their implications. It can sometimes lead to a high level of frustration until everyone changes their work habits to accommodate the new feature. I really appreciate the value of this forum to quickly get answers on stuff like this. Thanks!

Hi mike.

I also ran into this. Try this: right click on the extrusion at the intellishape level instead of on the handle like we used to do. Now select the option to edit the forward end condition and you will see the current length. Its not exactly the same, but you can check it out.

Best regards,

Bob Lukasik

Cary, couldn't the value show on handle as in earlier versions and have the new options available in conjunction or is this a programming issue?

I personally like the fact than when I right click on a handle the value is shown. I believe this is a function that adds to "The fastest and easiest way to 3D".

Just curious.

Tom

I agree with Tom here.

This actually feels like a huge step backward. I'm so used to being able to right click the extrusion and seeing what the length is and changing it accordingly. Now I have to bendover backwards to findout what the extrusion length is and at times do a calculation to change it accordingly.

I often find myself in a hurry and don't go thru the whole extrusion menu process. And the extrusion defaults to 50mm or 1.968504 in english. If I right click on the handle, I get 0... if I wanted it 0.25 inches. I have to plug 0.25 - 1.968504 into the dialog box. Or hunt thru the Intelleshape properties dialog box and change it there.

Actually I recently started to avoid the extrusion tool all together. Now, if it I am removing material I drag a H-shape from the from the catalog and edit the cross-section. Saves me a little frustration.

Just watch it if you edit the cross-section of a solid intelleshape. You pull a side handle and it all goes out of wack!

-JP

Joel Parrish

www.pai-design.com

I think that if you know what height you want, then the method that Cary described works pretty well. Select "Distance from Point" from the right-click menu and click a point on the bottom edge. This effectively resets the extrude height to zero. It does require one extra click of the mouse, which over the course of a day might add 30 seconds to my total CAD time.

I'm willing to go with the IronDudes on this, because I think they have plans to make our lives easier in the long run. Right now, it's a partially implemented feature, so I look at it as a small detour while the road crew builds a bypass that will shorten my commute.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mrehnelt

As it sits this is a huge step backward. Please, for the sake of your longtime users, immediately after the handle right click have the first option be "edit distance from opposite end". After that option, add all your far superior additional controls. In this instance, simpler is better.

-Mike