Some Quick Renderings

Guest EricFoy

Guest EricFoy

Just thought I'd throw up a couple of my latest renderings...

1.jpg    2.jpg    3.jpg    4.jpg

This was a project I did a couple years ago.  The airframe was modeled using surfaces and solids in combination -whatever was most convenient at the moment.  This is a Van's RV-7 with numerous modifications, most notably to the engine cowling and spinner.  We used the nose section of the spinner of a Boeing KC-97, which has four Pratt & Whitney R-4360 (that's 4,360 cubic inch displacement) radial engines.  The retractable landing gear is a future mod.  Hopefully this aircraft will fly in the spring of 2009. These renderings each ran in about five minutes. Settings: Super-sampling - Medium, no initial jitter, no filtering; GI - Medium, Shadow Quality=.75, precision=10, Photons enabled, Count=25000, Radius=.100, Count=65; No Lights, No Reflection Blur (important).

5.jpg

My next steps for improving these renderings would include adding a texture map to the aluminum skins, really dialing in the reflectance parameters for aluminum, adding the back windows (which are currently missing) and getting the plexiglas® to look more realistic, and figuring out how to better simulate a real propeller.

I grabbed this cool panorama from this link:

autostitch

I then modified it using The Gimp, which is a pretty nice piece of free software (once you figure out how to use the dern thing). 

Note my padding above and below the image to get that all-important 2-to-1 aspect ratio.

serratus2.jpg

Edited by EricFoy