Rendering Bug?

Guest mherrmenn

Guest mherrmenn

While rendering out an image I came across an issue that i haven't heard about, but I'm assuming is a bug.

Rendering from any non-ortho view, rendering times have been very quick (5-10 minutes with my settings). But if I change to any ortho view, (front, top, side, etc.) render times have ramped up to 8-20 hrs. The other thing that's odd is that (while in an ortho view) if you turn on perspective view or rotate the model (0.1 degree is enough), the render time will go back to being 5-10 minutes. It seems that the renderer has an issue with straight on ortho shots.

I'm using the standard lights with one added spotlight, supersampling is set to high, no GI.

Anyone else run across this?

Mike

Guest EricFoy

I have, in the past, noticed rendering times going through the roof for non-perspective views. My response was, "Well, non-perspective views aren't realistic anyway, so why bother with them?"

If you're looking for geometric precision in a view, you're probably not looking for photo-realism anyway, so I never considered it a problem.

Guest mherrmenn

I sent the file to IC and looks like there is some type of rendering issue with ortho views, they're looking into it. It definately is a strange problem.

I sent the file to IC and looks like there is some type of rendering issue with ortho views, they're looking into it. It definately is a strange problem.

23202[/snapback]

It appears to me that since your looking at an ortho view, I would assume it makes it difficult for any software to make a definite determination as to what faces edges etc are rendered and therefore "confuses" the app to make "decisions" as to what to render first whereas any other askewed views eliminates this issue.

Just my best guess blush.gif

Guest EricFoy

Yeah, when you think about it, how would you trace a ray in a space which has no vanishing point? How would you calculate your field of view? What features are "in view," and which are "out of view"?

In an ortho view, you're basically telling the renderer that the camera is an infinite distance from the subject. What, then is your focal length? Infinity! Whoa, that's a tall order, baby!