Shadow Quality

The image shows some wierd shadows and I cannot seem to get them more hi-res.

the scene is set with no lights on, no ambient lighting, just a global illumination set to colored background, medium.

When I set the shadow resolution higher, it doesn't make them better.

Any ideas what setting is required to perfect these shadows?

Any feedback is welcomed.

thanks

Tom

demo_case2_copy.jpg

...Couldn't resist a good puzzle.

So I ran some tests, and I *think* I may have found the answer.

Here's the basic stock settings. Oversampling: Medium; GI: Medium

post-176-1221188318_thumb.jpg

Then I thought, "Maybe it's the model." So I cranked up the facets on the o-rings and checked "triangulate facets." Not much improvement...

post-176-1221188334_thumb.jpg

So then I thought I'd crank up the shadow parameters. Here's one at Shadow Quality: 0.9; Precision: 30...

post-176-1221188347_thumb.jpg

Wow. It got way worse! So I thought, "If more is less, then perhaps less is more..." So here's my successful rendering at Shadow Quality: 0.5; Precision: 2...

post-176-1221188361_thumb.jpg

Moral: Don't crank up the Precision too high, or you'll get distortion. Like, too much gain, man. You gotta keep the VU's out of the red, if you know what I mean.

Hi Eric,

Just to make sure everyone understands....A Lower Precision will give better results not a higher value:

Precision. The number of pixels per cache sample. A value of 10 will give approximately one cache sample for every 10 pixels. Lower values give more accurate results (as the cache samples are located closer together) at the expense of performance.

That is why it got worse in the one case. You probably could have left the Shadow Quality a 0.9 and set the precision to 2 and got a good result as well.

Cary

Lower values give more accurate results

Aha... So less really is more... So much for my distortion theory. But what about the Shadow Quality? Does it run backwards also? Please expound. Thanks.

BTW, Eric ever think you'd be working on a contraceptive!

Wow! My imagination runs wild! I'm not even gonna ask. blink.giflaugh.gif

Aha...  So less really is more...  So much for my distortion theory.  But what about the Shadow Quality?  Does it run backwards also?  Please expound.  Thanks.

Wow!  My imagination runs wild!  I'm not even gonna ask.  blink.gif  laugh.gif

22196[/snapback]

laugh.gif Eric, this is a female contraceptive, so your theories may be a bit backwards tongue.gif OK, I gotta stop here before Irondudes yank the thread, biggrin.gif