Mechanisim/animation/rendering

Guest svangeldern

From a mechanism standpoint it is very cool - well done!

From a rendering standpoint it could use a little more work to get the components to look more like metal or have some reflections. A 3D environment may help out a little along those lines.

Either way it is very nice!

Cary

Guest svangeldern

deberg,

Hard to say how long it took as it was just an exercise (read not billable!). I would estimate 6-8 hours of modeling over a week or so.

Rendering is another story. It took over 4 hours for the realistic render/export of the 45 frames in the video on my system (about 6 min/frame). I started the process before I went home for the evening and viewed the results the next morning. I did 2 or 3 iterations.

A few observations about mechanism mode:

1. Don't use constraints that are not required.

2. Mechanism mode is not "kinematic analysis" mode. There are no external forces or gravity exerted on your model in mechanism mode. Parts have no mass and there is no friction. You are working in outer space. As a result you need fewer constraints then you think.

3. Use smart motions to test your model instead of dragging. Smart motions work like a constraint and should be considered as such. Dragging parts can introduce "simulated" external forces which make you think you need more constraints then actually required. There are only concentric constraints used at each of the joints in the video. Honest.

4. Interference checking works when using smart motions. Cool.

5.See No 1.

Lets see some more mechanisims!

Steve