3d Backgrounds

I am trying to understand how 3D backgrounds are orientated. Cary had supplied a catlog or pre-defined environemnts, however I cant seem to get the same results.

I.e One Light environment , I can understand where the one light is positioned and how to modifiy.

Any feedback is welcomed.

Tom

BTW,

It appears to me I need to orientate my view so I get the background properly positioned and then I have to move all my parts in the scene using UNCONSTRAINED rotation to get them to properly positioned to correspond to background. This obviously throughs my coordinate system for parts out of wack.

Using the background positioning through 1 and O is extremely confusing.

Guest EricFoy

Tom,

I have been able to orient the background from the Scene Properties | Background dialog. Like, if my model is constructed in a space with the Y axis UP, then I load the appropriate vectors in as 0,1,0. Then I use the Rotation angle to set north where it belongs (trial and error to get the prettiest picture).

What I would REALLY like to see is an option to bias the horizon vertically up or down, effectively changing the elevation of the camera at the time the photo was taken. Presently, the only way I know to do this is to edit the image, cropping from bottom or top and/or adding filler pixels to top or bottom. This will not result in a proper perspective, but I think it could work for a limited field of view, being applicable to many rendering scenarios. Seems like it would be fairly easy to add to the rendering code, but then it all seems easy to me, since somebody else always steps in to pull it all off! cool.gif

In fact, I'm gonna enter this as an ER right now, by golly!...

Edited by EricFoy

Guest svangeldern
Cary had supplied a catlog or pre-defined environemnts

21368[/snapback]

Where might one find a copy of this catalog?

Thanks,

Steve