Best Ironcad Video Card

Doug Gower

It's time to find a new video card thanks to ATI and looking at the choices now it looks like the new Nvidia cards with shader model 4.0 and Direct X 10 are about the only choice for future considerations...

Quadro FX 570 - entry level

Quadro FX 1700 - midrange

Quadro FX 3700 - high end

Does anyone else use these for IronCAD or have any recommendations? I don't find any reviews except for a couple customer reviews and the FX 1700 does not look great so far. FX 3700 is the only card at PCI-Express 2.0 everything else is 1.1 or something.

- Thanks

IC Guys:

Is IronCAD still limited to using 128M of video RAM? If so: when do we expect that to change. If not: What is the new max (if there is one)?

Doug-

If you are using the machine for IC only, I think the answer to the above question should help you out. Normally, I would say go for the best that you can afford, but in this case (if we are still limited to 128M video mem usage...and will be for a while), you may be better off upgrading memory/processor/hard drives for the price difference...

That being said, my Quadro FX 550 has performed well...

I do not know about the video cards I still have fairly old Nvidia Card.

It runs two monitors. I was using two 19" CRT's but my IT guy surprised me a couple weeks ago with a new "ACER AL2416W" LCT flat. I have that as my main monitor and the one of the old 19" CRT as second. THe 24" Wide screen is the best thing for IronCad. being wide I can keep the Scene Browser open and still have lots of screen left.

I am still interested in what is the best video screen since my IT guy says he will be upgrading my computer in the future.

IC Guys: 

Is IronCAD still limited to using 128M of video RAM?  If so: when do we expect that to change.  If not:  What is the new max (if there is one)?

21246[/snapback]

It sounds like IC would still be limited to 128M except for the addition of Hoops and even then 128MB should work alright according to someone at IC. The more memory the better though. I found a few Solidworks 2008 users who tried the FX570 (256MB) and it worked fine. I can't imagine IC would need more than that. Still... I'm tempted to get something better after my last experience. It's really hard to tell what the difference is here when you can't see it for yourself.