Dual Boot With Vista And Xp Pro?

tlehnhaeuser

• 1 month later...

I really feel very strongly that Ironcad should run on Vista. I've been delaying the purchase of a laptop because I cannot install Ironcad on a new laptop as the best ones are only available with Vista. And I really need a new laptop.

Vista is THE mainstream operating system. I pay my Ironcad Advantage subscription dues regularly and I love Ironcad but if this continues for much longer I might have to look elswhere.

I used to love Apple a long time ago but when CAD and other engineering software became thin on the ground for Apple I switched to Windows. Ironcad may force me to do the same if it does not get updated to work with the current mainstream operating system.

I sincerely hope this does not happen as in general Ironcad is a lot of fun, pleasure to use, and a very useful tool.

Mark

Guest rzito

I spent the weekend shopping for a new laptop, and in Australia they are now only delivered with Vista. Toshiba was delivering some models a few months ago with software that would roll back Vista to XP, but the latest models don't offer this anymore.

I was going to raise the Vista compatability situation at this forum myself, I need to upgrade to a new laptop very soon and need to be able to run IC on it.

When will we see a Vista capable version of IC.

Rgds Ralph

The time move is due to regression testing on components that need to be upgraded for the 64bit and Vista support. Basically there are some regressions and things that need to be updated that extended our original estimated release schedule.

By the way...I think most business class laptops still offer XP as an OS option. The non-business class may only offer vista.

Cary

Guest rzito

Thanks Cary & IK,

On the subject of change.

What advantages will 64bit IC have over the current version, and what sort of hardware would give the best results?

Regards Ralph

Hi Cary and Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.

BTW - I could not find a really powerful ultraportable with XP - I wish I could. I need to have an ultraportable with IronCAD around with me at all times so I can design when inspiration strikes.

I'm looking forward to May/June.

Best regards,

Mark

Well 64bit machines allow you to have more RAM to start with (32 bit is only 4GB). So they can be much faster.

Also, the 64 Bit machines will support many more external linked files for IronCAD when dealing with larger assemblies.

You can get 64 bit machines as desktop and laptops and both XP and Vista.

Cary

• 1 month later...
Guest rzito

Hi All,

Purchased my laptop, a high end ASUS delivered with vista ultimate, great I'll just wipe the system and install XP.

So I checked with ASUS for best approach.

ASUS"there are no drivers available for that hardware that support XP operating system"

Ralph"so they will be available?"

ASUS"No. try DEP settings in vista"

Ralph"I wish the sales guy had told me about the XP thing.

ASUS"I can put you through to microsoft regarding DEP"

Doh! forget it!

How far off is the VISTA enabled IC.

Best regards Ralph

Guest EricFoy

Yep.

Add me to the list... eagerly awaiting the arrival of IronCAD for Vista. Not because I WANT to change to Vista, but because the new system I just bought came with Vista, all my other apps (Rhino w/ RhinoCAM, etc.) run great in Vista, and because it really does have its advantages (beyond just windows dressing).

My plan in the interim is to buy another hard drive, install XP onto it ($200 or so for the OS) and switch OSes through bios boot priority (seems like the most uncluttered option, albeit a bit cludgey).

So what's the schedule look like? -as if you don't already have your hands full with v10 hot fixes...?

• 4 weeks later...

To bring the post back from the dead:

I thought I would add some information I found while doing my homework:

1) Dual booting Vista & XP can be done. It takes "similar" steps to dual booting other multi-OS sytems. The good news is that Vista has a drive manager utility which will allow you to re-size the Vista partition while Vista is running (something like Partition Magic). This allows you to create the space and additional partition you need for XP if you are starting with a Vista only install.

2) Vista only boots with the Vista boot loader (i.e. the XP boot loader, or Lilo/Grup can't be in charge of the booting. You can use the Vista boot loader to load XP, or shoot you over to Lilo/Grub. Unfortunately, modifying the Vista boot loader is a little more involved than editing a boot.ini type file. The good news is that there are free programs which will make it real easy for you: EasyBCD.

Step-by-step instructions on Vista/XP booting can be found here: