Concrete Shader

• 4 weeks later...
Guest EricFoy

Here's a pretty nice "wet cement"...

1) Play with the Specular Blinn settings to change the amount of glare reflection.

2) I think I had the bumps set a little too big.

3) Play with the Reflection and Fresnel for the wetness.

Note: Has anyone else found that using "Reflection Blur" kills rendering time big-time, whereas using bumps is much faster? That's been my experience, so I always use bumps now, instead of reflection blur.

P_Concrete.zip

post-176-1204777739_thumb.jpg

Edited by EricFoy

Reflection Blur and Bump Mapping are similar techniques-- but Reflection blur is more sophisticated.

Bump Mapping simply perturbs the surface normal based upon an image map or shader value. The result is to 'trick' the renderer into acting as if the surface is bumpy, even though the actual geometry remains flat. This is a fast way to give the appearance of a bumpy surface without the overhead of actually modelling the bumps. The modified normal is used in all shading, reflection, and refraction calculations. This makes it great for modelling sandy, rocky, grassy, wavy surfaces.

Reflection Blur similarly perturbs the surface normal. But, based upon the magnitude of the Blur, it will perform multiple samples. Each sample has a slightly different surface normal in a random direction. The results are then averaged together resulting in a blur of what the surface 'sees.' The result is less noise and more of a Blur. Also, note that Reflection Blur does not impact the surface shading-- making it more representative of a microscopic surface effect. This is great for glossy reflections.